St Louis boat type

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Hey Twitch...fellow Missourian here....

As for your boat question it really depends on where you plan to use it. I'd be more worried about length and width than hull design. If you intend to use it on small streams then you will want something you can push/pull through the shallow spots....flat bottom would help there too. If you are thinking of using it on the Mississippi or Missouri to access gravel bars, banks, and stream confluences I would want a bigger/wider boat that has the stability to handle whatever you encounter on those rivers. The modified V design boats are real nice if you are looking at a bigger boat that can be used on Lakes like Mark Twain and on the rivers. Another option for the really small streams would be a kayak or canoe....

I live in the Hannibal area. I noticed on another post that you have been searching in the Pike County Illinois area. I'm right across the river from there. If you ever want some company let me know I'd be glad to go walkin with ya. I know of several streams/rivers in Missouri that might be worth checking and would be glad to show you around to them.

Chris

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
archer66 said:
Hey Twitch...fellow Missourian here....

As for your boat question it really depends on where you plan to use it. I'd be more worried about length and width than hull design. If you intend to use it on small streams then you will want something you can push/pull through the shallow spots....flat bottom would help there too. If you are thinking of using it on the Mississippi or Missouri to access gravel bars, banks, and stream confluences I would want a bigger/wider boat that has the stability to handle whatever you encounter on those rivers. The modified V design boats are real nice if you are looking at a bigger boat that can be used on Lakes like Mark Twain and on the rivers. Another option for the really small streams would be a kayak or canoe....

I live in the Hannibal area. I noticed on another post that you have been searching in the Pike County Illinois area. I'm right across the river from there. If you ever want some company let me know I'd be glad to go walkin with ya. I know of several streams/rivers in Missouri that might be worth checking and would be glad to show you around to them.

Chris

Archer - I'm looking at a 16' V-hull tomorrow. I think it's a decent boat and should be sufficient for the main rivers around here (MI, MO, IL rivers). I'll probably try to pick up a canoe too as you suggest for the smaller streams / creeks. I'd be happy to meet up with you some time and will send you an email with more information. Thanks.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I would think a heavy duty rigid-hulled or RIB inflatable boat would be ideal for hunting artifacts. Easy to transport and you dont have to worry about damaging the hull coming in and off the shoreline. I've taken my bassboat a few times and gotten into some pretty hairy spots before. You can't cover as much area in a canoe or kayak, but you see alot of things you might have missed hauling along in a motorboat. I've found a bunch of artifacts just cruising along the shoreline in a kayak, being eye level with the shore really pays off imho.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I use a 20ft flat bottom river jon on the big rivers. I only have a 35 Evnrude behind it, but it does a good Job. It does well in the big rivers and I feel is safe. I wouldnt trust anything smaller depending on the water level. I have some smaller water ways that I hunt That have some deep hairy spots that I wouldnt canoe. It just depends on where I put in becouse some parts of this river you can only float and drag a conoe. A flat back canoe with a trolling motor is the way to go in the more shallow waterways. JMO Good luck

John

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks for all the thoughts. When I was in western KY I used a 20' jon boat w/ a 50hp and it was excellent, though larger than necessary. I plan on ending the debate this week and start testing the theory next weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions