Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to mail you a metal detector. Are you still deep in the snow?? The Indians loved it when iron was introduced to them. It began the end of knapping. The skill was lost for many years. I still remember reading not that many years ago how they thought arrowheads were made. Boy were they wrong. Its when they started finding the complete knappers tool kits in burials did all the pieces start to fit. The trade items are a important part of history and their is a section here on t-net that deals just with that time frame. Pretty cool. Nice find.
TnMtns

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
TnMountains said:
I am going to mail you a metal detector. Are you still deep in the snow?? The Indians loved it when iron was introduced to them. It began the end of knapping. The skill was lost for many years. I still remember reading not that many years ago how they thought arrowheads were made. Boy were they wrong. Its when they started finding the complete knappers tool kits in burials did all the pieces start to fit. The trade items are a important part of history and their is a section here on t-net that deals just with that time frame. Pretty cool. Nice find.
TnMtns

I agree, Larson needs a metal detector. I'll bet the farm there's more metal artifacts in his ground.

That's a beautiful trade point Larson. :thumbsup:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know Larson, that is in its own right a very rare point and maybe deserves banner nomination. Tn Mnts is correct, when iron/steel got here the indians went crazy for it. Being iron though, not many lasted long in the dirt. What does everyone think, banner? Your stuff is always killer!

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
newnan man said:
You know Larson, that is in its own right a very rare point and maybe deserves banner nomination. Tn Mnts is correct, when iron/steel got here the indians went crazy for it. Being iron though, not many lasted long in the dirt. What does everyone think, banner? Your stuff is always killer!

If this was my website, it would have been on the banner the second he posted it, as well as a lot of other artifacts he has posted in the past. Hell, I would have pics of his dirt on the banner. How often do you find a site that looks like Larson's. :o

I do agree this is a rare artifact. It's in very good shape and not rusted away to nothing. I've been hunting artifacts off and on for 30 years and never found a metal one. And I live in an area that has seen the white man since the 16th century.

The problem with it making banner is there's a time frame between the time found and the time posted. :'(

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's a nice one! Like others said, iron points don't survive very long. I found a few iron points about 20 years but they're just about completely rusted away. I also found some small, Indian made, brass points which are paper thin (literally). The field I found them in isn't farmed anymore, though.

I remember you also posted some copper/brass points.

I bought this iron point. I really like metal points....

Attachments

• iron pt.JPG
    iron pt.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 323
  • iron pt.JPG
    iron pt.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 312
  • iron pt.JPG
    iron pt.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 321

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It's neat how quick iron objects degrade in some types of soil. The Allen County Historical Society used to have a rifle, sword and arrow heads found when they uncovered the grave of Little Turtle of the Miami Indians. The rifle would have passed for an old piece of rebar, the sword a piece of scrap and the points for old cupboar door hinges.

They cleaned them several years back and all the bubbly rust came off and detail was pretty amazing. The neat part is that they were buried only about 120 years, which isn't a great deal of time. The problem in the midwest is that you find a lot of little iron scraps from old farms, we've probably walk by pieces assuming they were junk.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Holy moly is there anything you can't find......That is so sweet....bone,stone,metal...man what a site...

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I too think it is a lance head or knife...the basal notches are more in line with trade items from Canada, possibly Hudson Bay Company, which seemed to like the extra notches ahead of the tang.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread