Unknown Rounded Rock And Possible Sharpening Slab. Need Help w/ ID.

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
Hello,

I have a few rocks I had found that appeared to be quite unique to my untrained eyes. The first one is a molded round rock with a 3/4" hole in the middle. The rock itself is just under 3" in diameter and 2" in height. It appears to have some traces calcite and it has a grain type of feel on the bottom. . You can see where it was held from the darker rings around the band.

The second rock has a sandstone outer shell over a brown flint. It is ergonomically perfect to be held while the indention that shows the flint might have been used as some kind of sharpening stone?? It is almost 5" on the long side and 4" across the other side and 1.75" in height.

Finally could someone, anyone, please tell me if the final two pictures are a hand axe? I have found more than a few similar pieces. Some can be rather thick while others are pretty thin like this one. What struck me as being odd was the perfect condition of the bare flint opposite the cortex side. This is also ergonomically perfect in your hand. If I had to guess I would think this may be a preform that was intended to become an axe. I only say this because the pristine nature of the flint on the underside.

As always thank you very, very much for your help!! Happy hunting!!

Attachments

• NICE ARTIFACTS. 060.jpg
    NICE ARTIFACTS. 060.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 703
  • ROCKS 001.jpg
    ROCKS 001.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 404
  • ROCKS 003.jpg
    ROCKS 003.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 403
  • ROCKS 004.jpg
    ROCKS 004.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 414
  • ROCKS 005.jpg
    ROCKS 005.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 406
  • ROCKS 008.jpg
    ROCKS 008.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 394
  • ROCKS 009.jpg
    ROCKS 009.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 381
  • ROCKS 011.jpg
    ROCKS 011.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 410
  • NICE ARTIFACTS. 059.jpg
    NICE ARTIFACTS. 059.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 389
  • NICE ARTIFACTS. 060.jpg
    NICE ARTIFACTS. 060.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
The first peice is odd, looks like concrete to me??the second peice looks like a rock,and the third could be a chopper/crude knife.im sure the experts will chime in with a better explanation. :thumbsup:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
creek astronaut said:
The first peice is odd, looks like concrete to me??the second peice looks like a rock,and the third could be a chopper/crude knife.im sure the experts will chime in with a better explanation. :thumbsup:

I think ya nailed it....The last one is a good quick tool! nice flint :hello:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last two pictures look really good. Axe/choppers. Good looking material Nigel :icon_sunny:
TnMtns

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nigel I live in NorthEast Austin and I usually find my rocks in walnutcreek/park,but my new favorite place to find interesting rocks is out in Manor,TX. ,out at their huge park out on Old Blake Manor rd.just east of their downtown,they have a beautiful 18 hole Disc golf course out there with a usually dry creek bed with some of the most interesting rocks I've seen.Check it out sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions