FA0465.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 586
  • FA3000.jpg
    FA3000.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 598

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
During an archaeological dig in '89 at a Swedish cabin site circa 1650 we unearthed a number of French flints which were brown in colour. Can anyone elaborate on the origin and name of this type of flint?

HH,

root

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The French flints are called "French" not because we think a French soldier left them, but because the type of flint they are made from is found only in France. It is a brown color (lighter than this photograph shows) obviously differing from the dark gray English flint.

Attachments

• french.jpg
    french.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 519

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Gun Flints (and how they work)

The basic goal of the flintlock is simple: to create a spark that can light the gunpowder stored in the barrel of the gun. To create this spark, the flintlock uses the "flint and steel" approach. The idea behind flint and steel is straightforward. Flint is an amazingly hard form of rock. If you strike iron or steel with flint, the flint flakes off tiny particles of iron. The force of the blow and the friction it creates actually ignites the iron, and it burns rapidly to form Fe3O4. The sparks that you see are the hot specks of iron burning! If these sparks come near gunpowder, they will ignite it.

The flintlock therefore needs:

A piece of flint
A piece of steel
A place for the sparks to touch gunpowder
The flint needs to move at high speed and strike the steel in such a way that the sparks fall into some gunpowder. You can see the four parts that make this happen in the picture below.

Attachments

• flintlock1.jpg
    flintlock1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 460
OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Gypsy you have the answer for everything. ;) You go that extra mile to help anyone with questions in TN. ;D
Now. I got to figure out why so many gun flints are being found here.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
"Now. I got to figure out why so many gun flints are being found here."

Gun flints were a "consumed" in the process of fireing a flintlock gun. The flint not only strikes the iron frizen of the flintlock's lock, but the flint also wears. A flint in some cases is chipped to an edge on two sides and is reversable, but some flints have only one useable edge and this will wear with use. It can be knapped to restore its edge.
(i have done this many times to insure a good spark, while the flint was still clamped in the hammer jaws) But troops, hunting parties, etc, would make sure that they had sufficient lead ball, black powder, and flints to insure that they could use their flintlocks for their intended purpose. A flintlock gun, with lead ball bullets and dry black powder is still little more than a club without a reliable flint to get the whole process started. Are you finding the flints in 'groups' ? then they might be the remains of packets or even boxes of flints that were taken along. Are the edges of the flints sharp? or worn round? They may be used flints disposed of when it was necessary to replace them due to unreliable sparking.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I've got a couple of gunflints I found in North Carolina. Mine are both square, flat across one side, pyramid shaped on the other (pyramid shape formed by the removal of material...the fracture lines) and have a finely knapped edge all the way around. They were found with indian artifacts.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
post a pic cheese!!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Here is a pic of one. I think I have 2, but didn't see the other one. It might be in a different place.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 410

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5