My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas
My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

Here's my find of a lifetime.Found this in a Miller Co.,AR creek last year.5.25" and made of what is most likely translucent rootbeer flint.It was up on a shelf that is usually a few feet out of the water but due to flooding, there was water running over it.This thing wasn't in the water long.Can't wait for the water to go down.Special thanks to Mr.Dowdy from artifacts guide who took these photos.
GetAttachment-1aspx.jpg
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Upvote 1

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My find of a lifetime, 5.25" Scottsbluff

Wow! Thats all I have to say.

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009

Museum quality for sure. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

archer66 said:
Fantastic point for sure!!! :hello2:

Just imagine how close you came to not finding it.....
Probably very close.There was a root that came out of the ground then went right back in a few inches away.It kinda formed a horseshoe shape.The point had got pushed up against it sideways.I could see it under the water and figured it was a busted beer bottle due to the color.Sure am glad I checked it out!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md

to think I allways wait for the water to go down. Maybe should rethink my statagy. Beautiful find.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

A meeting of form and function of the highest degree. Looks as if they were designed for deep penetration...Bison perhaps?

B

bluebird

looks a whole lot like mine Scottsbluff
but my is smaller
banner point

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

Rege-PA said:
A meeting of form and function of the highest degree. Looks as if they were designed for deep penetration...Bison perhaps?
You're exactly right.These were top of the line bison killers in their day.These have been found with the bones of prehistoric bison.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

It must have taken the utmost skill to take on a prehistoric bison with one of these points, entry wound would need to be between the ribs or back farther, a bone hit would result in a broken point and loss of penetration. I`m thinking multiple hunters on one animal, no horses for these guys, up close personal and on their level. Dangerous, but what a reward for the hunters when down, maybe up to 1000 lbs of meat?

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri

Motivation to take on an animal like that was certainly there and I agree multiple hunters resulting in multiple wounds to the animal would eventually do the trick if the initial strike didn't manage to peneterate the chest cavity. Being a bowhunter I know from experience that somehow my broadhead tipped arrows often manage to sneak between ribs of deer rather than hitting a rib square...not that I don't notice the occaisional broken rib on entry or exit. Any chest or abdominal wound that does signficant damage to heart, lungs, liver, stomach, intestines would have eventually resulted in the death of the animal. After that it was just a matter of staying on the trail of the critter until it could be finished off or recovered.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We were waiting for that picture. Beautiful. Have seen some nice ones on here lately. It does not get any better than that. Hope you still have it and congratulations on a lifetime find I would imagine.
HH
TnMtns

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008

That's really an incredible piece. It's nice to see that they are still out there in that condition.

Hippy

OP
OP
John G. Scoggins

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas

TnMountains said:
We were waiting for that picture. Beautiful. Have seen some nice ones on here lately. It does not get any better than that. Hope you still have it and congratulations on a lifetime find I would imagine.
HH
TnMtns
Even though people think I'm crazy for not selling it,I still have it.It stays in the safety deposit box.As I've said before, I didn't get into the hobby for money.Should I decide to sell it, I'll be compensated nicely.The first time we took it to a major show, the offers were up in the tens of thousands.It's nice to know I have it should any kind of emergency arise.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

that point is beautiful, you very fortunate
around here the buffalo were driven off of a steep cliff and then harvested many at a time
lars

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

Thats kick @SS!!! so i can take it you did the IM BY MYSELF NATURE DANCE?? well in your case the RIVERDANCE?? :D Now you just need a Cody knife to boot :icon_thumleft:

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A find of several lifetimes.... That's absolutely amazing!

I found a few Cody and Alberta points, but nothing of that quality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions