Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Little Tennessee Pot

Its just cracked. Its not perfect by any means. No glue yet just a little satin poly to help with the humidity. Night guys. Self employed has its perks but I gotta quit staying up so late having fun.
If you have any pottery pieces broke or not feel free to post.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Hmmmmmmm, i guess this counts.

These are what most believe are gaming pieces, some people say jar toppers, but they have formed these into cruciforms and all sorts of images. the ones i posted up have all been worked or chipped into shape, some are hard to tell because of the scans, there are a few that have been chipped and then finley grounded into perfection. Also, when they made their spindle whords and pump drills they would use a piece like one of these "larger" and drill a hole into the center and mount onto a stick a little ways up from the drill. i have a illistation but my friend is borrowing my book , i have only found 3 spindle whords, all broken, non pictured. These guys are all from SW USA and are Anasazi/ Jornada Mogollon culture.

Attachments

• gamezpieces.jpg
    gamezpieces.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 516

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
These are interesting......

Some rim sherds with holes drilled into them. you know why they did this???

K, so imagine, being a native, over here, they hunted game all over and they migrated with the seasons, up the mountains in the summer down in the flats in the winter. So when you travel can you imagine carrying a cooking pot or two, your plates, cups, canteens??? would be hell. so why not drill some holes in your dishes, tie some leather straps, and put them all onto a big stick carried by 2 people , MUCH more eaiser ;D
Dont get me wrong, they would stash alot of pieces if they knew they were returning, but this would be the best method for temp travleing.

I have head ALOT of stories of hunters or hikers exploring and walking upon some of these stashes, one that sticks into my mind was of a cave filled with pieces, stacks upon stacks, the person never found again "of course" . This wont be happening anymore with the wonderful advent of GPS ;D

Actually i heard another story just 4 days ago, goes on and on.....

Attachments

• drilled.jpg
    drilled.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 501
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Little Tennessee Pot

wildcatman71 said:
jpitt1970 said:
I hear that Tennesse pot is pretty good

hmmm. I heard that too. :headbang:

:notworthy: Its everywhere in the mtns it took over the moonshine trade :headbang:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shopdog said:
awsome find I find alot of shards no hole one yet maybe one day

All the whole pots I have were given to me.. Everything I find is just shards (sherds?) to shopdog.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellas, I was told they used holes to help bind together broken or cracked pots untill they were replaced and discarded. I never put much faith in that, and that opinion has come up a few times. I always thought hanging collected food stuffs off the ground was common practice as well. Here on the coast pottery is the first thing you see when you look around a midden. Here's a few I've started.
Thanks, G.

Attachments

• caddo.JPG
    caddo.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 394
  • low wash tan.jpg
    low wash tan.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 370
  • mid wash curved.jpg
    mid wash curved.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 394

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Very cool assemblage of pottery folks.

Putting these back together is akin to repairing "Humpty Dumpty". The two we have, were passed down. I don't know who put them together, but wish the faced one was with a different adhesive, because it is very poorly done. There is one chunk missing. I really dig the face. These sat on a book case and one day we came home the cat was curled up in the red one. >:( They have since been moved to a safer locale.
What strikes me is the decor is on the interior of the vessel. It is the same with all the shards we have. The outside is featureless. :dontknow:

Imagine what these simple clay bowls have been thru. To see a few in whatever shape is nothing short of amazing!

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

Look forward to seeing more of these treasures.

BW

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
chong, Love the Anasazi pieces and have a bunch myself. I feel you can almost get into the mind of the artisan who made them.
You know, the Anasazi preceded many later cultures and maybe the shards were used as necklace pieces in honor of the "ones before" The holes appear too small to have had leather straps thru them. JMO. Of all we have, none are drilled.

BW

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
bravo, thank you. yo may be right, its all a mystery to me, could have been yucca fiber too tho. i have a large breast plate i have posted up here before, with 2 holes put into it. i love the sw pottery designs. i can browse pictures of the Mimbre picto bowls for hours and hours

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
bravo, that brown bowl reminds me of three rivers on terricota, cant spell :D the one with paint on the inside

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another simple larger woodland era bowl with slight restoration. :hello: Some pottery pieces I had been looking for stashed inside it. lol !

Attachments

• 100_2591.JPG
    100_2591.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 211

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
chong2
On the rim holes: some have been found that were cracked and the holes seem to be were they were holding it together.
The gaming items well it can be easy to see what is going on with them. Now one also sees what appears to be killed sherds, from the pots that were killed with holes. One could speculate such with holes drilled might be a memorial item kept and worn by others.

Ah it can be fun trying to figure out what stuff was used for in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread