Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very nice finds.

redeemed

Jul 8, 2005
Thomaston, Upson County GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher Coinstrike, Vibraprobe 560
Nice collection!! As I already told you cheese I grew up in Miller County GA. I used to find those all the time while we were harrowing, plowing and such. I even found a 8' spear point in perfect condition. I had boxes full but I sold them all for dope :-\ before I met Jesus and got clean ;D. I could kick myself now.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Nice finds redeemed! If you have more I'd love to see them. You can even e-mail'em to me if you want to. You have a wide array of points from diff. time periods in that pic. Thank the lord you wised up and got clean before the history of all those artifacts were lost forever.

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redeemed said:
Nice collection!! As I already told you cheese I grew up in Miller County GA. I used to find those all the time while we were harrowing, plowing and such. I even found a 8' spear point in perfect condition. I had boxes full but I sold them all for dope :-\ before I met Jesus and got clean ;D. I could kick myself now.
What jesus didnt want a hit??? j/k
nice arrowheads by the way.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection!

;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are pretty cool lookin' cheese...only found one in my life and it was broken.Oh well...thank's for sharing.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks!

I'll post more soon. Most of these in this pic were taken from one particular field in SW Ga. It was a settlement that was used from the early Archaic ages (maybe somewhere around 10,000 to 12,000 years ago....transition from paleo to archaic) to recent history. There are (or were, until the plows stirred them up so bad) signs of fires indicated by black soil with bits of coal. Apparently this site was very popular through the ages. Many more points have been found here before me. I came on this site after it was "Hunted Out"....which you all know what that means! ;D ::)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Cheese,

Great arrow heads and history.... I noticed that there seems to be a pattern in shapes? does that mean that they are made by the same person or tribe?
Keep them coming.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Peter, that's a question a lot of people ask. Maybe I can explain it without going overboard, lol. When I get to talking about native american history, I can get carried away! ;)

The patterns are consistent with the point type, and age. During different periods of time, different styles of points were made. There were several styles used simultaneously at different ages in time. Most of the points you see to the right (the smaller white colored points with a pronounced side notch at the bottom) are Bolen Bevels. These are the oldest in the group. This style was used as long ago as 12,000 years ago. That particular design was pretty much out of use around 8,000 years ago. It was a southeastern point style. During the same time frame, tribes in other parts of the country were using other designs, which varied from region to region. No one really knows why a design got widely adopted across a region like that, and why they stuck with a particular design for whatever length of time, but they did. It is nice though, because it gives you a ready indication of the age of the site you are hunting.

Some people ask how they know what points were in used 12000 yrs ago. The way this is determined is by excavating the sites in layers. Naturally, the deepest points are the oldest. Layer after layer is excavated, and artifacts from each layer are kept seperate and soil samples of each layer are kept. Carbon 14 dating is used on organic matter from fires in the layer and discarded bones from meat, etc.... This gives the date for the particular layer. Then this is done over several sites, and eventually a good determination of the age of each point type is understood. The bolen bevel points are among the oldest in my area. There are older points around, but they are rare. Most any points older than these bolen bevels would be paleo points, and paleo point styles usually have a much broader range across the country, rather than being localized in regions. Clovis points for example, can date to 30,000 years old. They are thought to have been used by the same man (men) who crossed the bering strait. These can be found anywhere from alaska to florida. I think this is indicative of nomadic individuals or small groups with little communication between groups.

By the archaic period, these groups began to form larger groups and communicate better and the point styles started becoming more localized and a wider variety of types began appearing.

Maybe that's more than anyone wanted to know, but hope that helps!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Cheese I thought so ;D

I did not exspect an answer like that, but hey I am learning so much about these things... Thank you so much for the time and effort you are putting into this hobby.

God bless
Peter

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Cheese, Very Nice Collection Of Artifacts, I Have Only Found Two Here In S.C. Must Not Have The Eyes for Them. Good Hunting. trk5capt... :o

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Correct D. H. ...not all arrowheads on ebay are real. Even the ones that state they are. Certification from a reputable authenticator helps, but that can be faked too. If they offer a lifetime guarantee of authenticity and belong to the AACA, you might increase your odds of getting the real deal, but they can claim whatever they want on ebay. There's no sure way of knowing until you get the point in your hands. Even then, it takes a skilled eye to determine the authenticity of an artifact. Sometimes it even requires a microscope. Fakers are going to great lengths to produce high quality reproductions and even reproducing the patina. Some repos are quite hard to spot.

Generally, if the point is superior in any way, especially in more than one way, you really need to have it authenticated before buying. Especially if the price is substantial. Some fakers even put intentional damage on points to make them appear authentic. I don't buy artifacts. Not because of the problem with fakes, but I just don't value them as much if I'm not the one who found them.

I also make (knapp) arrowheads myself, but I don't offer them as genuine, and I never attempt to fake a patina or damage, or the other things fakers do to decieve people.

My camera is in the car, but when my wife gets back with the car, I'll post a new thread with a new picture of arrowheads.

Thanks for the interest! I like to show people these things. After all, what good is having them if I can't share them with someone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread