Attachments

• fakes 002.jpg
    fakes 002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 0

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
With the price of some points fakes exist. It is even the rechiped and restored are sold as whole and real. It is why authentication is a must in high valued points.
It is a buyer beware situation in the market these days.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I fiddle with knapping as well.I don't make points tho I make tools..Stuff that I can use.I have made some walkin sticks and flippin sticks.I make saws to cut and shape the stick,and scrapers to remove the bark,and abradeing stone to smooth it all out...It has been very informative for me.

I like the idea of useing colored glass for points,that way you can tell it's modern.

stefpryce

Feb 22, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
f-70
I took a flint knapping class in college. Its not an easy thing to learn. But you can tell a lot about a point or tool from the way it was made and the material used. Also percussion bulbs and cones show age well. My professor claimed to know if the point maker was left or right handed! i guess what im saying is a profession could pick a fake out easy. id consult one before buying anything to good to be true. i have a great book that could help analyze the validity of points and tools if anyones interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Lithic-Analys...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268417342&sr=1-1

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
I have never been fooled because I have never bought a point,only personal finds in my collection.The amount of fakes out there is probably alot more than some would like to think,especially those who buy relics.Fakes have been manufactured for over a hundred years,you do the math.And these knappers that are trying to make a buck by passing off their repro's as authentic have learned how to fool even the best authenticator.So having a proffesional authenticator give you a paper isnt a for sure thing.Speaking of coa's those are pretty easy to fake also.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a woman on the arts/crafts market telling me her arrowheads forsale were authentic. Soooo I questioned her thouroughly, she got all tongue tied & eventually admitted her hubby had knapped them. Should be against the law to con (try, in my case) ppl. I was pleased with myself though, just shows all that educating me, Matt,Cliff & Shawn have done came in handy.. Not saying I could tell a GOOD fake but you know what, If I'm not sure then I leave well alone. I have nothing against knappers but ,I do think they should mark their copies, so they don't get mixed in with authentic points..jmho.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread