Paint pots ?

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fellas, I found these in a pawn shop around Christmas while I was searching for some stolen tools. They were brought in several years ago by a trader in Missisipian goods. They were using them as props in the jewelry case. Not being versed in pottery outside our coastal area I thought they were neat. Two were said to be " Missisipian" the other is obviously not.
Now the question remains, do you think these are prehistoric in nature or Uncle Bills ash trays from the 50's Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, G.

Attachments

• 100_5012.JPG
    100_5012.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_5014.JPG
    100_5014.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_5016.JPG
    100_5016.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 283
  • paint pots up.JPG
    paint pots up.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Interesting little items you have there. Its difficult to judge pottery without hands-on contact, but from what I see there...Uncle Bill might have had his hand in the manufacture. Dont run across to many smiley faces on prehistorc pottery, at least not in the fashion that one has it...and they appear a little thick...also the reddish piece appears almost to be glazed.

Just my opinion, I am sure others will chime in as well. I am more versed on Caddo wares from Louisiana and Arkansas. If I had seen them, I would probably have bought them as well. :wink:

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis, Thanks for the comment. The faded paint looks like a smiley face from that angle, I never noticed that untill after I posted the picture. The pattern does continue somewhat, but I still think it accomadated more Lucky Strikes than red ochre. Maybe what the lady forgot to tell me is that Uncle Bill lived in Missisipi ! I've got a few caddo reglues in my case, I'll pull them out and shoot a few pics this weekend. Thanks, G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread