Cant figure this out...

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3
Can't figure this out...

This is a pic of a couple of shapes made from some form of water/plant life combination. it might be some kind of fossil debris or something????? :icon_scratch:
what is so perplexing is... I often see these in arrowhead shapes!! :dontknow:

I find a little of this kind of material from time to time... however I am puzzled that I have found arrowhead shapes of this material now in all but one creek I have walked. I think I may have found 4 to 5 of these shaped as arrowheads.
I know they are not sharp... but they keep popping up when I walk a creek.
Can you shed any light on this???
I assume it is nothing... but I would hate to not ask and later find i am tossing important artifacts! :o
Ralph

Attachments

• DSC08074.JPG
    DSC08074.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC08076.JPG
    DSC08076.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC08077.JPG
    DSC08077.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC08075.JPG
    DSC08075.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Re: Can't figure this out...

I don't think they are artifacts but I would pick them up anyway unless there are too many of them. Post them in the fossil section, I think those guys can help ya out.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania

They look to me like lumps of fossil "hash". In the longer one, I see definite crinoid columnals and a brachiopod impression.

artorius

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, those are just pieces of limestone that have deteriorated and left those masses of fossils. Like Artorious said, you can see all kins of Crinoids in that second piece. They are the little round objects. Not artifacts, but still cool rocks and I would have brought them home too.

OP
OP
picnic42

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3

SRV said:
Yeah, those are just pieces of limestone that have deteriorated and left those masses of fossils. Like Artorious said, you can see all kins of Crinoids in that second piece. They are the little round objects. Not artifacts, but still cool rocks and I would have brought them home too.
I suspected all that... but it is very strange for several to be found as pointed arrow type pieces... and from different creeks as well.
Thanks guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread