Arrow points

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Found a little Madison today. Just under 7/8" out of Burlington. Sorry for the bad photo's, it was raining so I didn't take my camera. This is the best I could do with the camera phone.

As many people refer to all points as 'arrowheads' I really enjoy finding true arrowheads. For me true arrowheads are tough to come by. A question for the group - What percentage of your points are actually arrowheads?

In cases I have 43 points that I believe to be arrowheads. Of those 26 are triangles, the rest being Jack's Reef, Jacks Reef pentagonal, Nodena or some other form. In total this is about 6% of the total points I have displayed. By contrast I have more early archaic points (Dovetail, Dalton, Kirk, Big Sandy, Amos, Pine Tree, etc) than I do arrowheads. Obviously the bow and arrow wasn't around as long as some types in the Archaic and Woodland periods so I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

Attachments

• 2010-007.jpg
    2010-007.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 2010-007 (2).jpg
    2010-007 (2).jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I've only found two points small enough to be an arrowhead...one of which is a triangle and the other is stemmed and may have been worked down to that size and not actually be an arrowhead.

Sounds like you had a good day.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Twitch ,. funny thing is ,.. for the most part [300+/_ ] all I've found are arrow-heads . This is easly explained away here in California. But even back in N.W. Iowa ,. 90% of the points I've found are Madison .. ???,..sigh... But have found a new field back there , thats yielded a few expanding stem & other dart tip's .. :icon_thumleft: ... sooo 300+/_ arrow-heads ,..20 +/_ other ?? ,
Odd ,.. isn't it ?? Blindpig

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I think it mostly depends on your location. The bow and was invented only around 1200 years or so ago. If you in an area with late woodland - mississippian occupation the true arrowheads can be plentiful. I'd say around 7 / 8% of my collection are true arrowheads, or as we call them around here ' warpoints '. I really enjoy finding them too, they make you think alot about the history involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread