East Coast Copper Projectile

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Posted this on "Today's Finds" site. Any info would be appreciated ! Found this with my MD in Southeast Massachusetts.

Got out Saturday with a buddy. He's been nailing the big coppers lately and I hoped some of his luck would rub off on me. Wouldn't you know the first target I hit, my DFX is telling me its big copper. I dug a wide plug and flipped it over and was surprised to see this staring up at me. It was copper OK, but not the shape I was expecting.

SDC10612V2.jpg

SDC10613.jpg

I've collected hundreds of arrowheads over the years but never found a copper projectile point. There was a documented large native American settlement less than a half mile from the field where I found this. BUT there was no native copper industry in this area. I suppose it could have made its way to the east coast from the Great Lakes area where they did have native copper. It doesn't look like the cheaply made colonial trade points that turn up now and then either.

It's got what looks like a plow scar and is bent at that spot also.

SDC10614.jpg

SDC10616.jpg

It doesn't appear modern but it is possible an early colonist made and used it as a spear fishing point due to the scarcity of iron way back then. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: It's got me scratching my head for sure, but it is a killer looking point !

Happy Hunting !

UPDATE : I sent the pictures to a PhD in archaeology in Boston and he feels it is an authentic late to terminal Archaic stemmed point (3,000 to 5,000 years old). The copper source is likely Great Lakes or Bay of Fundy.

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find i saw it in today's finds, and decided to see if you posted it here!!!! It definitely a find of a lifetime!!!!!!

OP
OP
Jeff H

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Thanks Chug. It's definately got me stoked !

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
A great copper culture spear point! Alot of tribes traded items like this and are found in areas where there are no copper loads located.

Slipperyjack47

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Definitely copper culture! No doubt about it, its about as text book as you can get. Great find.

OP
OP
Jeff H

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Thanks folks ! This find will be hard for me to beat for sure !

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exellent spear head find.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
This is a really nice point. I am so glad to have met you and thank you for the tour of the cellar holes. I hope to meet up with you again soon. Take care and thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions