33.7 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

huntnman

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
thanks for the comments guys. Guess I can put it in my drill frame now. Never hunted up in ritchie county thirty7, but have in wood county several times. Why do you know of some good ritchie county areas? Always looking for new spots.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
huntnman said:
thanks for the comments guys. Guess I can put it in my drill frame now. Never hunted up in ritchie county thirty7, but have in wood county several times. Why do you know of some good ritchie county areas? Always looking for new spots.

I've been reading about native american history in Ritchie County. Seems it's been very overlooked in terms of archeological study. I'm mostly interested in finding some more Hughes River material for my collection. It ranges in all colors and is often mistaken for flint ridge, very nice chert.

Here's a page on it that may whet your appetite.

http://williamcox.org/projectilepoints/ProjectilePointIdentification.html

OP
OP
H

huntnman

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Thanks for the link 37. I have never even heard of hughes river flint. Id love to have a peek at that quarry spot. I thought kanawha was the only major lithic source in this area. Lord knows I find plenty of kanawha flint, bet i have some hughes river to and dont know it. Do you have any pics of some hughes river material for reference? PS i here the hughes is plum full of big musky.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
huntnman said:
Thanks for the link 37. I have never even heard of hughes river flint. Id love to have a peek at that quarry spot. I thought kanawha was the only major lithic source in this area. Lord knows I find plenty of kanawha flint, bet i have some hughes river to and dont know it. Do you have any pics of some hughes river material for reference? PS i here the hughes is plum full of big musky.

Me too man. There's alot of interesting materials in WV that aren't named or recorded. I don't know if it's because of lack of funds or interest? I find a little bit of Kanawha flint in the south eastern part of the state, but the majority of what I find are local cherts, some are high quality. Here's a couple examples of Hughes River material , one from a paleo book and two examples from my collection. Got any of this stuff?

Attachments

• phpN9qY3mAM.jpg
    phpN9qY3mAM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 160
  • phpr6KRxNAM.jpg
    phpr6KRxNAM.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 171
  • phpcyx5i3AM.jpg
    phpcyx5i3AM.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 184

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread