52.8 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I will hang on to it but I think Y'all are right about it being a geofact.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a wedge to me. Used for splitting wood and yes a artifact.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's definitely something too! Looks like you've been hunting my neck of the woods. That form was very well developed for a reason but the actual signature just isn't there. I have the same problem showing some of my finds here too. My suggestion is it's a quickly made celt. Hang on to it buddy!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A 3 year old thread revived and , Yes, I still have the thing. It came from Powell County, Ky.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research on the web and did images. your pic came up on this and I clicked on it. I have seen these pictured on the Peach state site under artifact ID section by Loyd Schroyder. They have a pic of one if you would like to go to the site and view it. Says it is for splitting wood. Thought you should know, rock

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what. I want you guys to try a little experiment. Get a piece of Limestone and sharpen it down to a bit and then try to use it to split a piece of wood. Use a stone Hammerstone to hit the butt of it and see what happens. I would recommend wearing gloves though because when the limestone crushes and falls apart you may just hit your hand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what. I want you guys to try a little experiment. Get a piece of Limestone and sharpen it down to a bit and then try to use it to split a piece of wood. Use a stone Hammerstone to hit the butt of it and see what happens. I would recommend wearing gloves though because when the limestone crushes and falls apart you may just hit your hand.

Going to need googles for your eyes too.... It is like making a ball bat out of balsa wood..... What is the point...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Going to need googles for your eyes too.... It is like making a ball bat out of balsa wood..... What is the point...

It looks good when you strike out and snap the bat over your knee. Like Bo Jackson, don't even look pissed off when you do it. That's the only reason I ever struck out. I'm sure you know that this is the absolute truth also.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it Limestone? I didnt see where it was said. I thought it looked like flint with patina on it. The chert or flint that is black will turn white if left out in the open for many yrs. You have to agree it looks just like the one in the pic on the ID site.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it Limestone? I didnt see where it was said. I thought it looked like flint with patina on it. The chert or flint that is black will turn white if left out in the open for many yrs. You have to agree it looks just like the one in the pic on the ID site.

Looks like limestone in pictures, if it is chert would have to revisit the possibilities...

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I licked it and it tasted like lemon! But, that could have been the tea I had for supper!:laughing7: While the type of rock was never specified it is definitely not chert or flint. When I rubbed it on my concrete sidewalk it left a white mark and the stone was still white. I have enjoyed the fun with this thread but I think I can safely say that this is a geofact and as such, it will go into my box along with the fossilized dinosaur eggs and the rest of my "wannabes"!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say you put goggles on and make a video of yourself splitting a piece of wood with it lol.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks. I will hang on to it but I think Y'all are right about it being a geofact.

I agree, still appears to me natural rock to me......

i agree 100%

fyrffytr does agree also

i think this has been thoroughly discussed and want to say.............it was done with respect and no negativity........which is good....real good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread