fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in Kentucky two years ago on my brother's farm. I rarely hunt arrowheads and most of my finds have been made while metal detecting.
Is it an axe or a farming tool? I have not cleaned it. Would it be OK to wash it with soapy water?
And, before anyone says it, no , it is not a baking potato! :laughing7:

Attachments

• Axe 1.JPG
    Axe 1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,344
  • Axe 2.JPG
    Axe 2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Axe 3.JPG
    Axe 3.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,262
  • Axe 4.JPG
    Axe 4.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks isn't everything, the original stone was made out of limestone, it isn't a wedge, it would crumble when used.

H20girl

Greenie
Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying the OP's rock is or is not a wedge. Nor am I saying mine is or is not a wedge. I don't know anything about either rock. Except that they look similar and they both may be limestone. So I suppose it's possible that looks are in fact everything in this case. Or not.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Wow, a thread that has been revived a couple of times...

The original item looked like it had a bit, and there is a very light weight type of tool stone called Cotton Stone or Cotton Rock. When freshly quarried, it was dense enough to work but over the course of hundreds of years it changes into something that feels like light weight lime stone. It's a very common raw material in Arkansas parts of Missouri & Western Kentucky. The cleaned up pictures of the original item shows that it is limestone, and knowing that it comes from Powell County makes limestone seem like a much more logical choice. Limestone in a creek can erode into wedge shape lenses.

The second piece could be a broken celt, but create a new thread to see what the membership says. A lot of them are probably done with this thread.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was done with it a couple years ago! :laughing7: I do agree with Joshua that you should start your own thread about your find. It may be something. Oh yeah, while i am here I wanted to let Y'all know that I have some oak limbs out by the burn pile that I am going to split with my sandstone wedge.

Feb 13, 2018
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This looks like weathered limestone. I find a lot of similar things like it. Toss it in the flower bed and keep looking. There are a lot of cool things still out their to find so don't give up.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean we aren't going to debate the authenticity of this piece again?:icon_scratch::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions