a perfect example on how points were lost

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
im not sure if this will be deleted on this forum but it was up on youtube.
THIS IS A GRAPHIC VIDEO
This is a perfect example that shows how the pieces could have been lost. with all of the commotion and running and chasing and the tall grass and swamplands which is the setting when the paleo and archaic natives hunted, what you see here pretty much is what had happened thousands of years ago.
Very informative to hunting points

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
im sure the animals that the natives hunted years ago took alot more, look at the spears these guys are using, much more sophisticated than thousands of years ago. it is a sad video, but like i was saying a perfect example

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad no
Brutal as the real world Yes :read2:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
chong2 said:
look at the spears these guys are using, much more sophisticated than thousands of years ago.

Actually, those scenes are from a movie called Africa Addio (released as African Blood & Guts in the US.) It was an Italian propaganda film used to show why historic colonization in Africa was a good thing for the Africans. (I guess it's kind of like saying slavery worked out well for most African Americans.)

Africans never hunted like that, nor are those authentic hunting weapons (most are dance spears.) You can see that about half the time the spears just bounced off the hide or more often than not just went in a few inches and fell out. If ancient hunters used that equipment, they would have starved to death...

I'm not saying ancient hunting wasn't bloody, but an atlatl would have brought down any of those animals a lot quicker than what is shown there.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
thank you for the lesson josh, yes i did notice how a bunch fell off or bounced off. speaking of atlatl's im trying this week to make one, just for fun. i taught a friend today they had atlatls and not bow and arrows, he freaked out when i showed him you tube videos of them in action

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of I was watching was influenced by the dramatic depressing music. I have to agree with everyone that when you hunted every day you would be much more proficient with your weapons and some people were probably amazing.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Good luck on the Atlatl, they are a lot of fun to play with. (Just like a potato gun.)

I've never made one of the pretty ones that you can buy online, but if you find green bamboo growing in land scaping, you can make a great atlatl with a lot of spring/strength. Split a pretty good sized piece in half, trim the edges, with a plumbers torch heat and fold the end to make a seat/socket for the spur (which makes it really strong) and you are ready to go. Get some river cane for dart shafts and let 'em fly.

The first time you get it right and send the dart flying, you'll really appreciate how effective Clovis and Folsom hunters were at dispatching their prey.

chong2 said:
thank you for the lesson josh, yes i did notice how a bunch fell off or bounced off. speaking of atlatl's im trying this week to make one, just for fun. i taught a friend today they had atlatls and not bow and arrows, he freaked out when i showed him you tube videos of them in action

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
chong2 said:

The wood shaft should have some spring to it. Different woods will give different results. It seems them people had a lot more knowledge that they are given credit for.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
josh, i am going to put some time into my atlatl , i have been doing alot of research on them lately. lol, i saw one net video on you tube where the guy used a skill saw and used wood dowels for the spur and dowels for the arrows, kinda cool for a quick fix, but i would like to go all out and get a feel of what they had long ago, detachable darts and all. like you said, about the folsom and clovis, i already have a great respect for them, but im sure will appreciate alot more once i get to experience them . if i get good enough i may even put to flight one of my Folsoms once again, jk, dont have any :(
for the bamboo your talking about, is this the kind? id like to try it just for fun. as for the river shoots, id have to order some, i dont have any rivers that have it around her. just cattails.

Attachments

• 040200_2140[00].jpg
    040200_2140[00].jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 469

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yep, that looks like the stuff (if it's hollow, it is.) Bamboo is better when it's green, although you can make a quick one with a thinner piece of the brown stuff by just drilling/cutting a long heart shape in on one side of a stalk. The notch at the top of the heart becomes your spur, the rest of the heart is where the dart lays. It won't be the prettiest atlatl out there, but it's still very functional. Drill a hole or two that you can plug, and you can put an ounce or two of sand a chamber to get the bannerstone/counter weight affect.

Make sure to show us what the finished product looks like!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see this !!! Sounds like fun. We have a lot of the native green river cane here if you want some let me know and I will grab a bundle when out.
Keep us updated you ole folsom hunter

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, tn lets make a trade, i pm'd u a min ago, thats payment?

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
Africans never hunted like that, nor are those authentic hunting weapons (most are dance spears.) You can see that about half the time the spears just bounced off the hide or more often than not just went in a few inches and fell out. If ancient hunters used that equipment, they would have starved to death...

I'm not saying ancient hunting wasn't bloody, but an atlatl would have brought down any of those animals a lot quicker than what is shown there.
Could not agree more..... A buddy of mine from S. Africa years ago had a video he shot of 2 Bushmen killing an elephant. They used an Atlatl and threw their spears about a second apart. Both hit behind the shoulder, good lung shots, and the elephant was dead in about 10 minutes...
The guys in that video, from what I have read, only just started hunting Elephants that way (new law that allowed for subsistence with primitive weapons), and that is why the film makers were trying to get the law overturned.... I wish I had a copy of Ivan's video, those little Bushmen were awesome. What they can do with a tiny bow and arrow would amaze you..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong?? Do you want me to cut some river cane when I am out? I will just let me know. No trading needed just an addie to send to.
Later.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i lost a point when i took off my wet shoes to get in truck i left it on the roof,i can blame that one on trainwreck,lol.i also lost a spanish dagger that i found. it was still in the leather case.sat down to pray to marry and i guess i had short term memmory loss becouse it must have fell out my back pocket.it was gone when we got back to the truck.i didnt relize it was a spanisher dagger until i looked one up simular to it on the net.my friend also found a sexton in bad shape but a sexton.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions