gar scale points

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint Dudes, Found these in my glove box. A few years ago I got these gar scale points from 41GV53 along with the thumb graver on the bottem and the oyster shell ,with a obvious tool use. The gar scales and sun patinad graver were together in the shell about two feet deep in a Rangia clam midden. The other graver is from the first TAAA Cibolo Creek dig. I got it and an andice on the same screen. Note the calcium carbonate buildup on the older thumb graver. That puppy is old. Enjoy, G

Attachments

• camino cibolo.JPG
    camino cibolo.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those gar scales are pretty neat. I did not know of them till I saw some on here last year.
Pretty nice finds

OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I've found a bunch of them thru the years, I always thought they were just left over from grocery shopping. Lee Patterson who officiated the most recent HAS dig on 41GV53 (Report No. 18, 2001) changed my mind. Thanks everyone, G

OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treefrog, A little of both. The scales vary depending on where on the fish whence the came. Most can be used as is, and I've seen several that looked like the oblong end was honed down some to be more symetrical. We don't have hard rocks in the soil along the coast so they left what they had to use. Lots of worked bone, even some shell was used as arrow tips to penetrate and kill. Thanks G.

OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nature Girl, Not every gar scale I've found would qualify as a point, only the ones in a midden context do I consider. One 30 lb dead gar rotting on the shoreline will leave about 2000 scales that could be used without any other modification. When I see a bunch just laying around willy nilly like with no signs of a midden to me their just gar scales.
I can't tell exactly by the pic. however I see similarities to a belly scale from a gar that may have been modified for the hafting. One would wonder why, when there are so many to use instead. Gars have the only scales tough enough to use as a point. They're more bone than scale and get real hard, harder than oyster shell. That definatly looks like one of a kind though. I'd be showing it off if I found it., Thanks for sharing, G.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Ok, thanks LoneStar and steve. Ive read about the scales, and they weren't used a whole lot, and 99.999% percent are JUST scales. I would be shocked if this is ever Id'd as a point., but if it's natural, I wish I could find someone who knows gars well enough to say. Thanks for looking at it.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Lone Star said:
Nature Girl, Not every gar scale I've found would qualify as a point, only the ones in a midden context do I consider. One 30 lb dead gar rotting on the shoreline will leave about 2000 scales that could be used without any other modification. When I see a bunch just laying around willy nilly like with no signs of a midden to me their just gar scales.
I can't tell exactly by the pic. however I see similarities to a belly scale from a gar that may have been modified for the hafting. One would wonder why, when there are so many to use instead. Gars have the only scales tough enough to use as a point. They're more bone than scale and get real hard, harder than oyster shell. That definatly looks like one of a kind though. I'd be showing it off if I found it., Thanks for sharing, G.
i check out most i see but rarely ever keep them.i've seen 2 forsure no dought big ones not average size scales.i'm sure indians ate a few gars and left many in the fire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread