The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very nice collection Suwannee! What's the yellow thing?

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
THAT'S A PALEO HIGHLIGHTER I FIND EM ALL THE TIME SOME OF THEM STILL WRITE ! HERE ARE A FEW CLOSE UP SHOTS < YOU SHOUD OF SEEN THE ONES THAT I SOLD THEY WERE REAL NICE

Attachments

• good points 007.jpg
    good points 007.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 466

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection. ;D

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the complements on the artifacts ,they are special to meI found my first one sticking in a tire in a parking lot when I was about nine years old,it was sticking in a tire.Nice trike there River Rat, I traded my hog for a jeep a few years ago ,miss the hog but love the jeep.Yea Gypsy Heart I hated to sell the points that I did ,they were from a Mastodon kill site . I still have some Mastodon teeth and bones with butcher marks all over them.

Attachments

• good points 005 small.jpg
    good points 005 small.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 452
OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Yea , you got a good eye ,and know your points. I kept a few of the good ones,wish I had kept them all, now its illegal to even pick one up most places. The only places I hunt them now is on privte land with permission in writing from the owner.Here are a few bird head gravers that they used to carve and engrave with-tools are cool too.

Attachments

• bird head gravers.jpg
    bird head gravers.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 448

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks! I've studied artifacts and ancient american culture for years. A cumberland and clovis stick out to me like a sore thumb. Can't miss 'em! lol. You could eat a loooong time for what the cumberland is worth. Clovis too. I have some points found at the suwannee too. I have friends with riverside property there. I also have several fossils too. No complete mastadon teeth yet, but pieces. I heard a guy found a set of tusks in the river a while back! That would be sweet to find!

If you ever want a companion on a hunt, drop me a note!

bryan

Feb 7, 2006
Southern Illinois
where do you sell arrowheads and how much are they worth. I know that it depends on condition and broke points and such. Nice finds by the way....

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Hello Bryan, The very best price guide is a book called Arrowheads by Robert M. Overstreet .It is in the ninth edition now and can be found on ebay under artifacts. Go to arrowheads.com and arrowheadauction.com That is a good place to start .The book is set up in geographic sections which helps identify points .Usually points are worth more in the area that they came from[were found in ]although there is always exceptions to the rule.NEVER buy a high end point from someone that you don't know,there are people faking them and to the untrained eye it is nearly impossible to tell. If you find a high end point [350 to 20,000 dollars ] get it authenticated by somebody like Jackson Galleries .With that done your point will bring 70 % more money.There are buyers listed in the book ,The book is the bible of artifact pricing ,a very good deal for the money almost as good of a deal as charter membership is here on Treasure Net and thats saying something ![HINT ! HINT! HINT!] Getting back to your question ,there are two prices listed in the book for each point ,the low one is wholesale and the high one is retail. Remember each points a one of a kind so the value lies in the grading as well as the type of the point -like coins . I hope that this helps in your quest for enlightenment ,and may the points give themselves up to you.... Good Luck Bob

Attachments

• field find WVa - note plough damage.jpg
    field find WVa - note plough damage.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 420

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
That cumberland didn't come from the suwanee did it? Maybe I'm assuming too much from your user ID, but I assume you're from that area? Looks like some of your points are from that area. If the cumberland came from there, it might be of significance....other than being a rare paleo point.

Another way to get an idea of what a point is worth...look on ebay and see what people are paying for them. An excellent point on ebay probably won't bring what it could bring at a show or from a reputable dealer, but it will help give you an idea. I'm not very knowledgeable about pricing though, as I don't buy or sell them.

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
No ,it didn't come from the Suwannee ,I have hunted points from Pennsylvania to Florida ,and out in Utah.I don't want to say where it came from as that states policy is to take all artifacts even if it comes off of private property,which this one did.I have no plans to sell it and very few people have seen it or knew that I had it till now ...oops. I will leave the key to the safety deposit box that I keep it in and a few other goodies to my daughters when I go to the happy hunting grounds. The Cumberlands are very hard to find I saw a bottom of one that came from the Suwannee though ,It looked black but after being handled it turned brownish . This one is real thinwith only one small nick. North of here , south of Pennsylvania

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's nice, regardless. I haven't found one yet. I've never seen a cumberland come from Florida that I can recall. Lots of clovis's though. Love those paleo points, but I think I like the archaic points best. Thanks for the pics!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis,

Awesome finds there.

I have been doing some research by checking out books at the library. Some interesting reads are "Anthropological Studies - # 6 Louisiana Prehistory & # 7 Poverty Point".

The best book is "Geoscience and Man, Vol XVII 9th ed, revised The Poverty Point Culture" by Clarence H. Webb.

I am able to compare my finds with what is in the book, based on the colors of flints, I able to say, that lithic materials used came from many areas of the country. They traded raw or already made materials.

Very interesting book, I would like to purchase one if I can...Published 1982, by LSU School of Geoscience.

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
Nice point you have there Atlantis , You say that they have a name for those that sell their points .... Three years ago i was so sick that a doctor told me I he didn't think that I would last the week and to get my affairs in order . I owed a good bit to different people and I didn't want to leave this world owing anyone. I hadn't been able to work so I had no cash money . I had no energy and was barely able to walk .I sold all of my valuable guns and points except for a few of the very best to leave to my children. with the money I paid all of my debts. don't judge me till you have walked in my moccasins,yes I am of Native American blood and proud of it. Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread