Nutting stone and..

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
This time I think I really found a nice nutting stone, it's about 14" square, and the bigger depressions have another depression in the center. The other rocks didn't look like this one, and I'm pretty sure we're on a good site, brokes and flakes, so what do y'all think? Is this one? Oh yeah, there are two or three shallow depressions on the other side also. The chunk of flint I thought was interesting because of that "flute" looking spot. Was it a discard? It fits my hand, but it doesn't looked very well worked. If at all. I can see recent dings on that edge, but what about the rest of the edge? Not really worked? anyway, the patina is so rich you can barely see the banding, and it's so worn there aren't any sharp edges. I thought it was interesting. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• nutting stone.jpg
    nutting stone.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 670
  • nuttingstone1.jpg
    nuttingstone1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 643
  • hunkaflint.jpg
    hunkaflint.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 641
  • hunkaflint1.jpg
    hunkaflint1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 642
  • hunkaflint2.jpg
    hunkaflint2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bad habit of mine molly, takes me two tries to get the pics up there :D

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see now. Nice nutting stone & a sweet scraper. Excellent finds, congrats..

Molly.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the nut stone. Its common for them to have the cup on both sides but not that many cups or indentions. A very fine day indeed!!!
TnMtn

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Well, Buckshot argued scraper too, but I still have doubts about that edge. It just looks too random to my un-experienced eyes. Thanks for the responses though, 'preciate it! But I wonder, there is nothing about that edge that has any uniformity, and if you compare the fresh chip to the rest of it, except for the color. it looks the same?? :dontknow:

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice pit stone. I find at least one or two almost everytime I go out. I have never found one that large though and never found one with as many pits. Really cool relic.

Chuck

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks southergirl, all the broken points in this paticular spot has that rich patina, and are very "water worn"? they are different from our other hunting spots, and I really like that.

Chuck, Ive seen pictures of stones like you are talking about, I think. I wonder if there is any kind of difference in these stones depending on the culture, and time they were used. The way these pits are random makes me kinda wonder, I seen pictures where the pits are more lined up in some order,

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now I want to find a nutting stone :D !
And I do think that's a scraper, naturegirl---that is such beautiful material.
Nice finds....it looks like you an Buckshot are onto a good spot!

sandcreek~~

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one Sunday and gave it to my friend that was with me. The cups are most times random and almost always on both sides from my area anyways. I can take pictures if you are interested?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Now that is a nutter. Just think of all the family history attached to that relic. That was the nucleus of the village, the focal point. Great artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread