Interesting Discovery Today

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
This morning the archaeology society I belong to investigated and discovered a middle woodland stone burial site in western Virginia most likely associated with the Shawnee culture. The archaeologist with us confirmed it was " the real deal ", and we did some measurements and recorded and documented the find. It is located about a third of a mile from a river and sits in a really peaceful spot along a small creek and several springs. On the way up the creek to the site we stopped to see some nice large fossils that had blown out of a hillside cave from major floods years ago, crinoids and some barnacle like types. Thought I'd share a couple pictures with you. The last pics are somewhat recent finds, a crystal thumbscraper and a couple early archaic points from WV.

Attachments

• phpq6Fmu7PM.jpg
    phpq6Fmu7PM.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 499
  • php6wLHJ1PM.jpg
    php6wLHJ1PM.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 489
  • phpd2qLTaPM.jpg
    phpd2qLTaPM.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 495
  • phpWEgS8TPM.jpg
    phpWEgS8TPM.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 491
  • phpRKMitHPM.jpg
    phpRKMitHPM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 483
  • phpHFaDk1PM.jpg
    phpHFaDk1PM.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 475
  • phpM1dpyyPM.jpg
    phpM1dpyyPM.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 487
  • phpcPRUVqPM.jpg
    phpcPRUVqPM.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat discovery!!!! Looks like it is in mound form and un- dug.. Nice bunch of points as well. Is the first one a buzzard roost or a kirk and maybe the last one a brewerton? Nice finds Thirty7 . Will your chapter excavate?
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Neat discovery!!!! Looks like it is in mound form and un- dug.. Nice bunch of points as well. Is the first one a buzzard roost or a kirk and maybe the last one a brewerton? Nice finds Thirty7 . Will your chapter excavate?
TnMtns

Thanks, yeah it's medium sized pieces of limestone stacked in a mound. Kind of camouflage from all the dirt and leaves and shrubs growing out of it. One of many in a small area(over 30) and one of the few that hasn't been looted. There's a chance my chapter will be involved in excavating the mound, but more likely will be done by archies from a nearby university. I should at least get a front row seat to watch the process anyway.

I'd say kirk or palmer on the first, it's about an inch and a quarter, second may be a dalton varient, and brewerton(mid archaic) or ecusta on the last. Nice calls

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff! We have several woodland period rock mounds around this area. Nice artifacts, I have a crystal thumbnail scraper similar to yours. Thanks for sharing.H.H.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
That IS interesting thirty7. Thanks for a look at the real deal. I see piles sometimes and wonder just how they got there. I don't know about mounds like that in my neck of the woods. What are the diminsions of that mound? I also see where some of our universities do excavations in the summer, and the public is allowed to watch, I may have to go to one of those. At least to see how it's done. Not that I would dig into a mound. Thanks for the look.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Incredible! Burial mounds. fossils, points, wow! Awesome discovery. That quartz scraper is really nice. I have a quartz scraper that I found, but it is not clear quartz like your's.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
naturegirl said:
That IS interesting thirty7. Thanks for a look at the real deal. I see piles sometimes and wonder just how they got there. I don't know about mounds like that in my neck of the woods. What are the diminsions of that mound? I also see where some of our universities do excavations in the summer, and the public is allowed to watch, I may have to go to one of those. At least to see how it's done. Not that I would dig into a mound. Thanks for the look.

Sure naturegirl. The dimensions of the mound are roughly 18' x 20', around 4' tall. The archaeologist with us said these type of burial mounds usually contain one or two important members of the tribe.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Appreciate the kind words viking and adena man. That quartz would be tough to work but the super hard material provides a sharp scraping/ cutting edge that would last a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread