West Coast Guy Here

lurediver

Jun 12, 2009
I enjoy seeing everything you guys post up but hardly ever see anything from my direction out west posted. So here's a couple pestles that I found last year while bowhunting hogs. The long grey round pestle is from the Yokut indian tribe located in west/central California. They used it for grinding acorns. The Whiteash one which I can't figure out has a squared shape to it, instead of be rounded like the grey one. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Indian 003.JPG
    Indian 003.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Indian 006.JPG
    Indian 006.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Indian 008.JPG
    Indian 008.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome sir. Very nice to see the ancient artifacts of North America. Pestles are such great finds considering they were such a part of every day life and used by so many people in the group.
Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
An artifact like a pestle took a lot more work to make, would have been much harder to replace, and was probably much more important to the tribe than your average arrowhead, congrats of a couple of nice examples.

Joshua

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
An artifact like a pestle took a lot more work to make, would have been much harder to replace, and was probably much more important to the tribe than your average arrowhead, congrats of a couple of nice examples.

Joshua

Well said :thumbsup:

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi there Lurediver, sorry about the late response ,.. I work out of town ,and ..........!
Anyway ,you have a fine pestle and mano there . The mano [one in question] is bit of a hybrid ,. Typical kali thing ,hybrids and all . If you like to learn a bit more about California Mano’s and such , I wrote a post a while back titled “The Mano , the other hard-stone tool” . You can find this post on page 20 here [American Indian Artifacts Forum] , last posted Aug 13 2008 . I would like too just link ya to it , .. But I have “issue’s “ at linking ,. But I feel I’m just one click away from mastering it ??
And your right ,... not many of us Californian’s on here ,.. And maybe for good reason ,.. WE live in Cali .... :-\ ...!!
Blindpig

OP
OP
L

lurediver

Jun 12, 2009
Blindpig thanks for the info, I enjoyed reading your write-up on the mano.

Where in Cali are you located?

~LD

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Are the square shaped ones, or the ones with straight sides, used more for rubbing, or a rubbing back and forth motion? The two I have found, and one given to me are square sided. It seems to me they were used on a flat surface, if even used at all? The motion I associate with a pestle, would not cause this straight surface, would it?

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Lurediver , glad you enjoyed it !
For the most part ,my collection is from N. San Diego & S.W. Riverside County . I live in San Diego County ,.. My address is .........h.hayyy , wait a minite there ,,..didn’t you say you where a “PIG’ hunt’n there when you found your mano & pestle,....Man ,near got my own bacon fried there .. ;D..!!!
Joshuaream , thanks for help’n an O’ Blindpig see!!
Naturegirl , I think the one’s with “sides” where used more for “rubbing” [some pounding] ,.. Sometimes ,”back & forth” but out here in cali at lest , more of a “down&around” motion ,.. But just an idea of mine .
Thanks ,. Blindpig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread