Greenstone Celt

A

Atlantis0077

Howdy

Thought I would post a photo of a little greenstone celt....yes its green, even though the picture might suggest otherwise. Interesting story on this little piece. I didn't actually find it. A friend of mine lives in an ancient house in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. She decided to have the house raised 10" and in order to accomplish this the carpenters had to tear out the old double fireplace. This celt had been built into the brick of the fireplace from the late 1800's. I had a brief notion that perhaps the house was built on a ceremonial site and the celt had been found when the foundation for the fireplace was dug.....not so. ??? Anyhow anyone who was alive when the fireplace went in is surely dead now so the secret rests with them and the people who made the celt. Wherever it did come from, it most assuredly was ceremonial....no signs of wear anywhere and the material would suggest a high status item.

Atlantis

Attachments

• GreenCelt.jpg
    GreenCelt.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 751
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats an excellent find and the story with it is great. I see that alot of Greenstone celts have been found near the Mississippi River Basin ...You really have a nice treasure there.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis,

Great celt. I never found anything like that & only about 35 miles from BR.

Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

HH :)

dishinet

Jun 18, 2006
Mississippi
That's an awesome piece. I have one almost just like it, but the back of mine is more pointed. I will drag it out and post a pic of it. It's made of the same green. My dad found it way back digging a basement. Thanks for sharing, Its a Beauty!!

Dishinet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread