Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool yard sale finds. They look pretty good. If they were all perfect that would scare me. Nice bunch of celts/axes. Maybe someone from your area will recognise some of the materials.
Thanks for showing :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
40 bucks!!!!Dang he did real good.....It would be hard to touch any one of those for that price..
The last one is mega sweet!!!!

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Since you didnt mention it I will.....did ya notice the stick figure drawing scratched into the surface of the one in the last picture??? Pretty sweet.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL said:
Last one has an Indian scratched into it?
Larson has posted stuff like that too...very cool!
archer66 said:
Since you didnt mention it I will.....did ya notice the stick figure drawing scratched into the surface of the one in the last picture??? Pretty sweet.

Thanks y'all......I was wondering when someone would mention that. :thumbsup:

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i need to start goin to yard sales.your brother made a real good purchase.they appear to be celts or/and possibly some adze in your group.celts show up in the woodland period(1,000 B.C.and later)some adze have been found in new york that date back to the early archaic.they are among the earliest ground&polished hardstone tools.would need profile picks to tell if they are celt or adze.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creek astronaut said:
i need to start goin to yard sales.your brother made a real good purchase.they appear to be celts or/and possibly some adze in your group.celts show up in the woodland period(1,000 B.C.and later)some adze have been found in new york that date back to the early archaic.they are among the earliest ground&polished hardstone tools.would need profile picks to tell if they are celt or adze.

Thanks Creek.I havent been back to see my brother yet so I havent found out what he's found out about them yet....but I appretiate the info. :thumbsup:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
A good buy for $40.

No offense, but based on the length and type of cut marks, the big X on the last piece was probably done with bench grinder. Interestingly enough, authentic engraving looks much more like the stick figure carved on the same piece. (Those type of lines, with different depths and passes are easy to do on a bench grinder as you turn the piece and push harder or softer, but ancient natives wouldn't have been able to do them like that.)

I've seen several authentic celts over the years with more recently added lines like that, usually they are from someone trying to make a "Tomahawk", painting them red was also popular.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
A good buy for $40.

No offense, but based on the length and type of cut marks, the big X on the last piece was probably done with bench grinder. Interestingly enough, authentic engraving looks much more like the stick figure carved on the same piece. (Those type of lines, with different depths and passes are easy to do on a bench grinder as you turn the piece and push harder or softer, but ancient natives wouldn't have been able to do them like that.)

I've seen several authentic celts over the years with more recently added lines like that, usually they are from someone trying to make a "Tomahawk", painting them red was also popular.

Interesting info thanks.I have seen similar grooves on sinu stones so I don't see why ancient natives couldn't have made the grooves.....anything is possible though.This is why I would never collect anything like this unless I had found it myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions