How do you start learning about the stone used to make these artifacts?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
cthulhu said:
I'd like to learn about all the materials used for FL artifacts, for example. Is there a website or good book that explains how to tell the sources of material for points found?

Thanks,

what is it your wanting to do/know with this info? We have coral, coastal and local cherts , there is some rarer jasper and agates that have been found in Fl. Points were made with stone and bone and shell.
You can find a coral newnan on the surface near a river and find another newnan in the river made from the same spall but they will have different patinas and you would never know they came from the same rock.
These I dug up at a site here in Hillsborough county on 301 near the river, these were all made from Hillsborough river basin chert, which is a brown chert, its a compressed algea formation with inclusions and fossils in it.. They are all white patinated but if I was to soak them in Mineral oil they would have their color back

DSC04507.jpg

DSC06699.jpg

heres a socketed antler point I found
DSC04460.jpg

DSC04461.jpg

DSC04462.jpg

pm me and I can give you a HUGE quarry site where there are holes and piles that were from the indians quarrying rock for points.There are points laying around here and there but its in a park so thats on you if you pick it up

OP
OP
cthulhu

cthulhu

May 28, 2010
Tampa Bay
centfladigger said:
cthulhu said:
I'd like to learn about all the materials used for FL artifacts, for example. Is there a website or good book that explains how to tell the sources of material for points found?

Thanks,

what is it your wanting to do/know with this info? We have coral, coastal and local cherts , there is some rarer jasper and agates that have been found in Fl. Points were made with stone and bone and shell.
You can find a coral newnan on the surface near a river and find another newnan in the river made from the same spall but they will have different patinas and you would never know they came from the same rock.
These I dug up at a site here in Hillsborough county on 301 near the river, these were all made from Hillsborough river basin chert, which is a brown chert, its a compressed algea formation with inclusions and fossils in it.. They are all white patinated but if I was to soak them in Mineral oil they would have their color back

Great pics!

As far as why/what, I was just thinking that if I saw a point it would be great to be able to identify where it was made, based on the rock. It would also be awesome to visit these quarries. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread