Who Knows What This Bone Artifact Is?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I found this years ago, and have not successfully identified it (though I haven't been trying much). Maybe someone on this forum will recognize it.

It's made of well-mineralized bone. The bone itself does not show any sign of breakage - that is, it appears to be "finished" on all edges.

While there is some stream-polish, the cut grooves are quite apparent. Notice the curve on the inside of the prominence on side A. Bones don't break like that. Someone put some effort into producing this thing.

I've had some guesses as to the function of this piece of bone; but, nothing definitive has been offered.

Anyone here have a similar piece . . . or a good idea what it is?

toolboneunid.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like a pipe but am thinking maybe the grooves could have been for abrading purposes? Just guessing Harry. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
The few people who have looked at this piece think "atlatl hook." But no one has seen a hook quite like this . . . so far. On the other hand, atlatl hooks were made of a number of different things - antler, a tooth, etc.

No other guesses?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's easy to imagine how this atlatl hook might have been lashed to the end of a throwing stick.

This one is Paleo-Indian. It's a museum cast of the one found in a museum excavation in the Aucilla River in North Florida.

atlatlhookcast.JPG

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry

I wanted to tell you what good pictures you are getting of artifacts out of your light box. I know you usually shoot bottles but the artifacts look really good too. Nice photography sir.
Very nice.

TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread