gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I went to a place where there was so supposed to be a burial mound, and I saw something. It looked like a garden. It was about 15-20 feet long and about 5-10 feet wide. It was raised 2-3 feet, and had a border 3 stones high around it. (I might go back for pictures tomorrow with a tape measure.)

But, it had 4 birdhouses stuck into the top of it, and at the base of each birdhouse was one of those things where little kids put their handprint and then add colored rocks. I don't want to dig the mound, but if this is the right place, I would like to take a look around.

Gorgias

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Indian mounds vary from state to state .....so you might have found a smaller one....take some photos and post......someone just probally put the bird houses and hand casts on it as a sort of tribute ....you probally want to research the areas history to see what you can find on the Indian tribes who were there.....Good Luck

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

I'm not joking, but I might be clueless. I can't find the reference right now,and I'm a little busy. I saw an obscure webposting that mentioned an Indian mound. I went to the place, hiked 2 miles in one direction, and found nothing. I went the opposite way on the trail and found what I described before, bird houses, etc.

I'll take pictures one day, soon.

Thanks,

G

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
From what I understand ,The area that Gorgios is referring to is in a
well known hiking area,with printed brochures and a website, that encompasses a vast amount of ground including several mounds....The surrounding area has several housing developements,which I am sure accounts for the birdhouses ,etc decorating one of the mounds...probally kids. The entire wooded area in that county has several mound sites...ranging in every size...The smaller size does not matter...this could have been a burial site for a summer camp tribe who later were pushed out by the settlers....I am seeing mounds anywhere from 8 x 20 feet on up....the far Northern states also have the smaller mounds due to the vast wooded areas of the time....these mounds are built by baskets of dirt being carried ...man power....no dirt and less people in a tribe....smaller mounds.....
While scientists have classified 3 distinct types of mounds, we now know that size and reasons depended on the tribe and area.
Adena: 2000 BCE ? 300 BCE (earthworks to chart seasons & for ceremonies)
Hopewell: 300 BCE ? 300 CE (round or conical mounds, often over burials, full of finely detailed statues, carvings, other artifacts; also some effigy mounds)
Mississippian: 500 CE ? 1200 CE (larger, rectangular/square mounds with flat tops ? held temples and were surrounded by highly organized societies)

Hope this helps......glad they were only decorating the mound and not digging in it!

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to do some more research, but even a lot of the old-timers I know don't even know they are there. I found it on an obscure history link. I did find someone posted, knowing where a spring is and an indian attack took place. I might cold e-mail the person and ask for directions or a tour. After finding out a piece of major news, I never knew existed, I'm very interested in archival research on my area, which will tke me to a large area university.

I'll get pictures soon. Inthe meantime, check out the indian atack on the first paragraph of the following webpage. That's where I'm looking. the mound is supposedly near there.

http://www.southfayette.org/common/history/sfhistory/communities.htm

G

P

peg legged

Be verycarful here this may be a New burial location. New meaning within the last 10 years.
When I was in Tueson in 79 I used a steel rod to probe the ground with. I probed a spot that turned out to be BRAND NEW with the body still there. I left and never went back and NEVER looked BACK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread