To Restore Or Not To Restore That Is The Question

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
Snyders Point found with a half moon shape broken out of one side and a little off the tip. It was too pretty to throw in Mrs Buckhunters flower beds. Is it wrong to repair and display it?

Attachments

• Restored Snyders.jpg
    Restored Snyders.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Here's 4 pieces I have considered getting restored for along time. I say whatever makes you happy. I wouldn't try and sell them off as authentic or anything. I'd just enjoy seeing them in their original state, it's more aesthetically pleasing imo.

Attachments

• phpKfjYJxPM.jpg
    phpKfjYJxPM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 368

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckhunter said:
A reproduction, to me is when someone takes a block of flint and makes an arrowhead from it. Restoration is when you take a trashed out 1969 Road Runner and restore it to new condition. Or put a little drywall mud on a broken point. Bam, they are both restored, though the Road Runner is probably worth just a little more :laughing7:

Big difference between an artifact and a car, although your choice of 1969 Road Runner is great, I bought one brand new in 1969, beautiful red with 426 Hemi, paid $4500 and change :icon_thumright:

What I would give to have it back now..........

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I think you should do whatever ya like best. Certainly a nice rock either way.

Thirty7, did you find those four points??

Chuck

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think Treasure_Hunter brings up an interesting question, what if a restorer took a one inch Clovis base and turned it into an 8 inch translucent fluted masterpiece... Sure, it could have been that long but probably wasn't.

I know Gomer and Bushy have standards regarding how much they'll restore, but I'm sure there are others who don't.

Replacing a tip and filling in a couple of side dings on a piece like Buck did is clearly restoration, it just helps fill in what we know with pretty decent certainty to have been there at some point. Turning a small piece of broken base or tip into a top example for the type probably goes beyond that for me.

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
37 you never stop amazing me with your stuff. I want to see them whole again if you do please post them for the old Buckhunter.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I never restore mine. If you were to see my collection, I have a bunch with little dings in them. I think it shows the real deal with being a hunter, hunting for his collection of personal finds. As to say a collector who has collected nothing but perfect points.
When i go to a show I am always more interested in the ole country boy that has the chipped and the perfect points on display. It keeps it real for me. I have a couple of killer Snyders that have a little damage, and I would never have them touched up.
I went to a show and was looking at a guys collection, The first point that drew my attention was this killer agate basin. I told the guy that is one terrific Basin blade. He says"" that ones been restored" He didnt lie or beat around the bush about it at all, but i still walked away from his tables feeling a little funny. I mean this guy had several tables set up. Whats the chance that the first point I pick out is restored? John

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Since everyone else is giving an opinoin, I'll throw mine in. I have had a couple of pieces restored but only restored if they can be restored to their original condition with out any guess work. I agree entirely with the previous statement of taking a base and making a 8 in clovis out of it, thats just not right. If I get a 7 in plus dovetail with some minor damage I will get it fixed. There are some pieces that are nothing more then art and should be thought of nothing less. If a fine painting is damaged, the are restored and brought back to their original glory. I also collect fine damaged pieces that are half to 75% there and have never had any of them restored so I think each piece has its own story to tell. I've included a picture of a frame of maces. They are all perfect except for the one with serrated edges. That piece is 20.5 inches long and was found in a plowed field in 1947, it was found broken into 4 pieces with everything there except for a pie shaped piece the size of a quarter. This piece was restored and brought back to its original glory.

Attachments

• Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 323
OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
I never restore mine. If you were to see my collection, I have a bunch with little dings in them. I think it shows the real deal with being a hunter, hunting for his collection of personal finds. As to say a collector who has collected nothing but perfect points.
When i go to a show I am always more interested in the ole country boy that has the chipped and the perfect points on display. It keeps it real for me. I have a couple of killer Snyders that have a little damage, and I would never have them touched up.
I went to a show and was looking at a guys collection, The first point that drew my attention was this killer agate basin. I told the guy that is one terrific Basin blade. He says"" that ones been restored" He didnt lie or beat around the bush about it at all, but i still walked away from his tables feeling a little funny. I mean this guy had several tables set up. Whats the chance that the first point I pick out is restored? John ( I dont mess with the little dings, both points I restored were whacked, it just seemed a shame to leave them that way. I hope that does not make you think less of my collection or me.

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Go ahead and display it like it is, that is a nice piece. Stop and think how old it is they are not all perfect. Actually to me restoring a piece seem's to take something away from a piece instead of adding to it.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That Synders was missing so much that it probably wouldn't wind up in a display in most collections, it would just go in the "heartbreaker" bin or flower garden. Restored, it is display worthy and it allows you to see what it would have looked like complete. From junk pile to the wall, I would think that makes a good case for restoration.

You aren't trying to fool anyone with the restoration and it can easily be "popped" off if need be, without harming any of the original artifact. PROPER restoration can be a great asset to a piece, but rechipping never is.

Not all broken artifacts should be restored in my opinion. In fact, it's the minority that should. For instance, I wouldn't restore a point with an impact fracture, because that tells part of it's story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions