Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes

Attachments

• Restored Snyders.jpg
    Restored Snyders.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I would probably leave it but it's your call. However, you may want to revise the tip a bit. I don't believe I've ever seen a snyders with a needle tip. Most are rounded off and not even particularly sharp any more. But that's my opinion to make it a bit more anatomically correct.

Hippy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would not restore it, to me a restored point is no longer a true relic, it has been altered in modern times. I have had a chance to buy many authentic restored points over the years, but did not buy any.....I have put clay pots back together, but you can always tell they were broken and re-glued, I will not have one restored though....

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's the restored version correct? Do you have a before shot?

Ultimately it's your rock, and your call. From a financial point of view you might get a couple of bucks more with a professional resto job, but usually it just doesn't make financial sense to restore average to nice grade flint.

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
I have only done it to a couple of points. I never restore them where you cant tell with more than a quick glance and I would never sell one anyway. It just seems a shame for them not to be displayed close too what they would have looked like. Just my thoughts on the subject.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But its got character. Nothing wrong with that being a centre peice in a frame or even in its own frame.

Just my 10 cents..

molly.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
ya what molly said
leave it
i can't believe hippy would ruin it and think it's ok
lars

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"i can't believe hippy would ruin it and think it's ok"
lars

And just how did hippy propose to ruin it Lars?

The needle tip he mentioned is a bad restoration job on that point, it isn't the original tip.

Joel

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Buckhunter said:
Wow!!! guess I suck at restoration.

I think you did a great job. I would display that as a center piece and be proud of it. :thumbsup:

I don't think everyone realized just how bad it was broken. This was junk until you repaired it. Now it's a beautiful repaired point. :)

PS...You may want to go thru your brokes and repair some more. :wink:

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Thanks R.P.G. I was about to kill myself. Ha just kidding I got skin thick as a Friggin Rinos :sad11:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Buckhunter said:
Thanks R.P.G. I was about to kill myself. Ha just kidding I got skin thick as a Friggin Rinos :sad11:

You're welcome. You did such a good job restoring this one that everyone didn't realize it had already been restored. If you look closely at the pic, you can see that over a 3rd of the point was gone before you repaired it. :D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if approx 1/3 of the point is reproduction or restored, what ever it is called, where is the line drawn between being authentic and a reproduction? How much of a point can be repaired or restored and still be considered authentic, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4?

If only the base and stem of a point is original what is it then?...............Where does it stop being an artifact?

OP
OP
Buckhunter

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Its always an artifact. Yes, its just a restored artifact. Am I trying to pass it off as anything else? NO I am not. Am I trying to deceive anyone? NO I am not. Am I trying to show what it would have been? Yes I am, poorly I might add, but it is the best this poor farm boy can do. And as far as how much to restore, I feel there should be enough of it left as be sure of what it is your trying to restore is typologically correct. And if you want to draw a line make mine crooked cause I cant draw. Bottom line is its broke always will be broke, but just looks better to ME. :BangHead:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckhunter said:
Its always an artifact. Yes, its just a restored artifact. Am I trying to pass it off as anything else? NO I am not. Am I trying to deceive anyone? NO I am not. Am I trying to show what it would have been? Yes I am, poorly I might add, but it is the best this poor farm boy can do. And as far as how much to restore, I feel there should be enough of it left as be sure of what it is your trying to restore is typologically correct. And if you want to draw a line make mine crooked cause I cant draw. Bottom line is its broke always will be broke, but just looks better to ME. :BangHead:

Buck, I never thought, said, nor implied you were trying to pass it off, or to deceive anyone at all, I am certainly not attacking you in any way, I simply asked where the line is between artifact and reproduction.

It is just my own opinion, but when points have extensive restoration they become less of an artifact and become more of a reproduction......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread