New record clovis

OP
OP
S

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
There is a close-up pic in the paper that is not in the online article. I will try to get a pic posted later, but I have to go to ball practice with the boy now.

mike

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Here is a picture of it. That area has produced a couple of other very large St. Louis variety clovis points before, the opinion of the people at the temple show was that it was good.

Rumor has it that it sold, but I'm not sure I believe the price.

Attachments

• Clovis.JPG
    Clovis.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 5,588
Sep 30, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Eyes
I believe that the oppisite was found true at the Temple Show. There is more to the story but I have only heard it second hand and I'm not going to place it on here if I don't have all the details correct. But what I am sure of is that it is the opinion of most that it is not a good artifact.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
That's a big point not to have at least one or two recent edge fractures tumbling in that creek. It might have just fallen in too.
It would be like winning the lottery.IMO. It made the paper so it must be authentic. :tongue3:
Newt

OP
OP
S

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
I'm typically not a skeptic & would think that if the paper has it as a front page lead story that it checks out, but it seems too good to be true. All that aside, any idea what it may have sold for?

mike

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I've looked at hundreds of clovis and I have never seen one with secondary pressure flaking like that. I also can't recall seeing any made of that material. Not like I could afford to pay the quarter million price tag, but even with 6 coas I'd still be scared of that one.

OP
OP
S

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
$250,000??? Yikes, for that kind of jack I wouldn't care if it had 20 coa's. I would have had to been present when it was found to go for that. (plus born with a silver spoon)

mike

Sep 30, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Eyes
$225,000 is the number I heard floating around, I guess 250 or 225 what the difference at that point. I know of and have handeled a clovis that is about 8" long and is authentic, it looks nothing like the one pictured on this post. Absolute killer artifact, I'll contact the guy who owns it to see if I can post a pic. Scott - www.miamivalleyartifacts.com

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure want to believe it is true. If he has sold it,it will not really matter. Looks like it would be a grave item but we have no records of Clovis burials do we? Kill sites yes but burials I do not know. Giant and perfect. I would have made sure to get an insitu even if I had to hike back for a camera. Nice link thanks for sharing.
HH
TnMtns

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
MHO : Modern knappers like Buffalo River chert for the same reason that Paleo knappers liked and used it -- because it can be fairly easily collected in large nodules that are uniform in consistency. If anything one way or the other, this would be a point in its favor.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read on another site that he had taken it off the market for now and had turned down $250, 000 for it. If it's real then it's the best flint artifact ever found.

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks just like some of the ones I found in my garden, it's a bit smaller though.

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All kidding aside, I hope its authentic. I'll have to make sure I always have my camera on me, insitus would have been awesome.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you could harpoon whale with that baby nice find Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread