Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are types of sea living "boring" pest that pierce into shells to eat the animal within from the inside -- they make perfectly round type holes -- it might be one that missed the main body area and wound up by the top . -- other that that i do not know

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
The Common American Auger may reach a height of 1¾ inches. The approximately 15 whorls of the univalve shell have indistinct sutures (the seams where adjacent whorls meet). Each whorl has about two dozen axial ribs, giving the shell a slightly corrugated appearance. The overall shape of the shell is elongated, narrowing to a point. The surface may be off-white, tan, or gray. The shell has a definite twist at the base of the columella (the “core” or central axis of the shell), and the aperture (opening) is small and somewhat longitudinally elongated.

There is a horny operculum which can cover the aperture. This “door” is closed when the gastropod has retracted into its shell.

Auger snails have a poison gland, and a harpoon-like “tooth” which can be ejected from the proboscis to stab worms and small fish. American Augers, however, do not pose a threat to shell collectors. The Common Atlantic Auger lives in shallow water from the Virginia coast to Florida and the Gulf of Mexico.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
there are types of sea living "boring" pest that pierce into shells to eat the animal within from the inside -- they make perfectly round type holes -- it might be one that missed the main body area and wound up by the top . -- other that that i do not know

You are correct on that, but I don't believe that's the case with this shell. For one, I'm pretty sure that is a sea shell and where larson found it on his site is a long way from any sea. Two, he has found more that one so that makes it more than a coincidence. The hole looks a lot bigger than what I have seen on shells that have been bored into by the creature that does that, so that too leads me to believe it's a Bead. The Indians used all kinds of different shells for their Beads and traded quite often to get the ones they wanted.

Nice Bead larson!!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yep, it's a good example of something definately being an artifact in one area and probably not in another area.

That shell is pretty far from home in the Dakotas, and would have been traded there. If you were closer to the ocean it would probably just be another shell.

Joshua

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
we find those down here in Florida, not on sites though, most of ours are drill clams shelss or drilled buyscon whorls. I will go with artifact for your because of the amount and types of finds that are there. Very decorative and ornate time period of your site. Very nice piece

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bead.

I think that is a local fossilized gastropod but I can't tell you what species it is or its age. I find all different kinds of species of them around here. When I was a kid I used to pick them out of the gravel roads and along rivers/creeks and wherever else they became exposed.

I have found some really cool looking ones in construction sites but I don't know what I did with them.

Here are a few that I found at construction sites and the big one I found in a creek.

Attachments

• shell 001.jpg
    shell 001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 371

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to add that those fossil snails are around 60 million years old (Paleocene age) and are freshwater species. The Mandans and Hidatsas actually dug them up, lots of quarry sites have been discovered. They also picked them up along waterways.

Also, lots of exotic marine shells from the coasts were traded into the Dakotas, in both the prehistoric and historic periods. The most common types were Olivella, Marginella, Dentalium, and Whelk Columella. Lots of other types were traded but I can't think of their names right now...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool larson. I find some similiar snails around here. They are fresh water here though and some species were eaten to extinction by early man. Pretty wild huh? We do get some large conch shells from the coast made into Gorgets with engravings,,
Take care
TnMtns

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
ivan salis said:
no, look at the area he found it in looks like indian midden to me.i've seen thousands of shells with worm bored holes in them.that one looks good as an artifact. i dont pick up most with holes in them but that i'd keep

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 163

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I have never found any of that type of shell in the campsites around here. I wish I had a couple of those just to put in the display case.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others being that far inland & knowing your site Steve & what you find. Its a bead. Congrats.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread