My best game piece yet! I need to be thankful for the rain!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 3,830
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,733
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,702
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,651
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,669
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,683
Upvote 0

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Lars - Congratulations on your find and your well deserved banner. That piece is AWESOME! Your finds since I've been on here are some of the best I've ever seen, anywhere. If I was in your garden I'd be in a constant state of sensory overload. Great job man.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thirty7 said:
Hey neo are you now Lars official spokesman or something?

No offense to anyone but the whole banner finds system really tends to bring out the worst in folks, you know greed, lying, envy, and all that great stuff...jmho.
Neogeo said:
Har... sure why not...he is a good guy,& I was just trying to be helpful..
Thanks for explaining Neo :icon_thumright: (since nobody else would).

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find :icon_thumleft: but exactly what determines that is a game piece is there similar finds in the past ? are they documented ,excuse all my questions but ancient American artifacts are new to me Congrats on Banner Dd60

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone artifacts are rare as they decompose pretty quick. When found they often show incised lines or decorations on them. Larson found one in very good shape from an area where people lived off the buffalo. Game stones were made by many ancient cultures and most found are made out of stone. Some end up being drilled all the way through and worn and are called gorgets. It can get tricky on I.D with out a written history.They gambled and traded with items like these because there was no currency. It is Art and craftsmanship in the stone age.
Items like this are similar to say CW/US belt buckle or in coins a rare copper or a key date Indian head a nice reale or a good gold ring out of a tot lot.
The value of one in that condition could possibly buy a couple metal detectors :thumbsup:
Neo gave a good link in that link was a better explanation of items like this in that particular culture. I do not know why everyone did not try to help explain this so you would know what is on your banner bar. There have been hundreds of artifact items that are banner worthy roll by unnoticed. I guess Jeff thought it would be nice to have an ancient artifact rolling by. Here is some from the link:
Young women sat on the ice wrapped in buffalo robes and played gambling games. A common one was played by two teams with two to eight players each. As in many such amusements, the object was to slide a game piece to a goal. In this case, a bone thrower made from a buffalo vertebra was used to propel the gaming piece towards the goal, which was a piece of wood about three inches long, notched at each end and painted red. The game piece itself was either a flat, circular river pebble or a small, square piece of buffalo vertebra. Such bone pieces were usually decorated with two carved lines stretching from corner to corner and crossing in the center.
Hope this helps :icon_sunny: Nice find Larson. Congratulations !!
TnMtns

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lurediver said:
underdogger said:
creeper71 said:
how comes Alot of people posting an Item assumes everyone in the world knows exactly what they have found... to me it looks like a dirty rock/bones with some type of scratching on it... Please be more descriptive then this need no explanation.. Don't know why this would be on the banner
Exactly a seated coin does not make banner why should this whatever :coffee2:

I vote underdogger Cry-baby of the year award. Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

You can see a seated just so many times right? 1253 on e-bay right now. Not one buffalo bone game stone though. Duhhhh !! :sign10:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's going to be displayed in the banner then I wish you would answer this question for the rest of us metal detectorists.......

WHAT IS IT ?? ??? ??? ??? :dontknow: :BangHead:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SkyPirate said:
If it's going to be displayed in the banner then I wish you would answewr this question for the rest of us metal detectorists.......

WHAT IS IT ??
lol it should have come earlier but 3 posts above TnMountains explains it pretty well and also read NeoGeos links. Its a Plains Indian game piece.

Congrats to Larson.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
SkyPirate said:
If it's going to be displayed in the banner then I wish you would answewr this question for the rest of us metal detectorists.......

WHAT IS IT ??
lol it should have come earlier but 3 posts above TnMountains explains it pretty well and also read NeoGeos links. Its a Plains Indian game piece.

Congrats to Larson.

OK got it.. I wish Larson would have put a better description in after it made banner. I know nothing about indian stuff, I thought it was a piece of scrimshaw or a whales tooth. :tard:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Larson does a good job keeping the AMERICAN INDIAN ARTIFACTS section updated. This piece might not be the best thing posted lately, but it is a great addition to T-Net. I posted a point quite a while ago and personally didn't think it was a banner find, but I appreciated the notation. Let's give larson the credit he deserves. I'll check back frequently to see a comparable piece. If I see one, I'll vote banner again.

Larson,
Please keep posting-even the meager finds. I for one, will always enjoy what you post. You have a great site and please don't let the Babel take that away from your posts. I for one, appreciate them.
Newt

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent find...I have a game piece too, but nothing like this. Congrats on the find and the banner :icon_thumright:

:wink: RR

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
Newt said:
Larson does a good job keeping the AMERICAN INDIAN ARTIFACTS section updated. This piece might not be the best thing posted lately, but it is a great addition to T-Net. I posted a point quite a while ago and personally didn't think it was a banner find, but I appreciated the notation. Let's give larson the credit he deserves. I'll check back frequently to see a comparable piece. If I see one, I'll vote banner again.

Larson,
Please keep posting-even the meager finds. I for one, will always enjoy what you post. You have a great site and please don't let the Babel take that away from your posts. I for one, appreciate them.
Newt

Hear-hear!! It's as banner worthy as any metal whatchamacallit. I for one wondered why the bone points, or the squash knife, or the awesome side-notched bird points didn't get banner mention. Bone artifacts simply don't exist where I am, and I am amazed by the variety of stuff you post!

mike

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkyPirate said:
bigcypresshunter said:
SkyPirate said:

WHAT IS IT ??

Congrats to Larson.

OK got it.. I wish Larson would have put a better description in after it made banner. I know nothing about indian stuff, I thought it was a piece of scrimshaw or a whales tooth. :tard:

He is in planting time so he may still be out on the tractor working and not seen the commotion.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
shorelinesearcher said:
Newt said:

Larson,
Newt

Hear-hear!! It's as banner worthy as any metal whatchamacallit. I for one wondered why the bone points, or the squash knife, or the awesome side-notched bird points didn't get banner mention. Bone artifacts simply don't exist where I am, and I am amazed by the variety of stuff you post!
mike

My point exactly. He's found "bird" points that would be in the center of my collection. I know the frequency might be greater out west, but I don't hunt there. I'm in the south and a "Bird" point is something to be proud of.
Newt

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I hear ya ...I cant find any thing like his artifacts here in Tx.I love seeing his collection,some of the best artifacts I have ever seen.Thank you Larson

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Bone artifacts are rare as they decompose pretty quick. When found they often show incised lines or decorations on them. Larson found one in very good shape from an area where people lived off the buffalo. Game stones were made by many ancient cultures and most found are made out of stone. Some end up being drilled all the way through and worn and are called gorgets. It can get tricky on I.D with out a written history.They gambled and traded with items like these because there was no currency. It is Art and craftsmanship in the stone age.
Items like this are similar to say CW/US belt buckle or in coins a rare copper or a key date Indian head a nice reale or a good gold ring out of a tot lot.
The value of one in that condition could possibly buy a couple metal detectors :thumbsup:
Neo gave a good link in that link was a better explanation of items like this in that particular culture. I do not know why everyone did not try to help explain this so you would know what is on your banner bar. There have been hundreds of artifact items that are banner worthy roll by unnoticed. I guess Jeff thought it would be nice to have an ancient artifact rolling by. Here is some from the link:
Young women sat on the ice wrapped in buffalo robes and played gambling games. A common one was played by two teams with two to eight players each. As in many such amusements, the object was to slide a game piece to a goal. In this case, a bone thrower made from a buffalo vertebra was used to propel the gaming piece towards the goal, which was a piece of wood about three inches long, notched at each end and painted red. The game piece itself was either a flat, circular river pebble or a small, square piece of buffalo vertebra. Such bone pieces were usually decorated with two carved lines stretching from corner to corner and crossing in the center.
Hope this helps :icon_sunny: Nice find Larson. Congratulations !!
TnMtns
[/quote

THANK YOU!
Carl

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic artifact!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the banner great piece there!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used