Found Another Great Looking Pipe

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just found my 4th Pipe in the last year and a half and it's another dandy. It's got a small nick out of the bowl, but other than that it is very nice and very nicely made. It is a fine grained sandstone that has been very highly polished and is very smooth. It is a yellowish sandstone with a nice reddish tint to it as you will see in the pictures. It also has a nice little groove cut into it that seperates the stem from the bowl. I made sure to clean it out over a bowl and the bottom of the bowl was full of a black burnt substance that I saved in a baggie. I'm going to give it to an Archy friend of mine as sson as I see him. I didn't find much else, but then who's complaining. lol

Enjoy the pictures. The first few are the in situs and the ones from the field and on my leg in the car. The other are after I cleaned it at home. I tried to get a picture down into the bowl and down the stem but I'm not sure if they turned out well enough to show up here. You can see the gouging inside the bowl to make it bigger and you can see where they drilled so far into the stem with one sixe and then went to a smaller size to finish the hole. If you look close you can just see the line inside the stem.

Attachments

• Pipe01.jpg
    Pipe01.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pipe02.jpg
    Pipe02.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 2,473
  • Pipe04.jpg
    Pipe04.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 2,435
  • Pipe05.jpg
    Pipe05.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2,421
  • Pipe06.jpg
    Pipe06.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,396
  • Pipe20.jpg
    Pipe20.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 2,390
  • Pipe21.jpg
    Pipe21.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,375
  • Pipe13.jpg
    Pipe13.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Pipe10.jpg
    Pipe10.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Pipe17.jpg
    Pipe17.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2,356
  • Pipe16.jpg
    Pipe16.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,324
  • Pipe22.jpg
    Pipe22.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,320
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!I too didnt know the who's of this fantastic artifact,and thank you Creeper for bringing that up,but I think the "edgyness',stems from a recent comment about "pipes",being on the banner,which I could not dis agree with more.I would much rather have found an item such as this one,up there than a coin that was still in circulation when many of our grandparents were young. :hello2:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pipe of this size and condition--even with the chip in the bowl--is WELL deserving of the Banner!

That artifact would be the Centerpiece of Anyone's collection. :notworthy:

Cheers,

Buckles

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
kuger said:
Great find!!I too didnt know the who's of this fantastic artifact,and thank you Creeper for bringing that up,but I think the "edgyness',stems from a recent comment about "pipes",being on the banner,which I could not dis agree with more.I would much rather have found an item such as this one,up there than a coin that was still in circulation when many of our grandparents were young. :hello2:
Your welcome Kuger, All I wanted to know was exactly what it was an why it was on the banner... then a few seemed to attck me for questioning a find I have no knowledge of... You can't learn about something if no one would be willing to teach or answer questions you have about something... I do give Hippy alot of credit for posting a very good informative post to help us understand how special this find is...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
kuger said:
Your welcome Kuger, All I wanted to know was exactly what it was an why it was on the banner... then a few seemed to attck me for questioning a find I have no knowledge of... You can't learn about something if no one would be willing to teach or answer questions you have about something... I do give Hippy alot of credit for posting a very good informative post to help us understand how special this find is...

:thumbsup:

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
kuger said:

I guess to put this in terms of coin shooting or some other hobby it would be like finding a 1916D merc or something similar. It has a pretty good value probably anywhere from $300 to $500 to give some sort of perspective. Unlike coins though, no two of these are alike which makes the value very subjective.

It's not everybody's ball of wax but because they are so rare to find they're very deserving of a banner. Steve makes some fantastic finds and it's good to see some rocks on the banner every once in a while.

Hippy

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hippy,I am a rock picker from way back,and to me those types of artifacts are the oldest history I can find in my neck of the woods :thumbsup:

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, thanks to everyone who voted for this to be on the Banner. I really appreciate the votes. I was wondering if it would make it because of the slight damage, but since finding one is a very rare occurrence I figured it probably would. I have another Pipe that made the Banner when I found it last year and that is the bigger one that is slightly curved and has the mouth incised in it.

As for why it's on the Banner, like I said above, finding a Pipe is something that doesn't happen a lot. I have just been very lucky in the past couple of years and have found a few nice ones. Also, for the ones that don't know much about an item like this I guess I should have explained it a little better, but in my defense when I post something like this on the American Indian Artifact board I just figure that everyone here will know what it is and what is was used for because of seeing all my other posts. I don't even think about it making the Banner and having people from every forum see it and that some of them have no clue about items like this.

For those that want to learn a little more about the Ft Ancient culture of southern Ohio check out this link. The particular site this Pipe came from is dated 950 to 1650 AD, as are most of the Ft Ancient sites in my area.

http://www.arrowheadology.com/the-fort-ancient-culture-950-ad-to-1650-ad/

I hope this helps everyone out and thanks again.

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
SRV said:
First off, thanks to everyone who voted for this to be on the Banner. I really appreciate the votes. I was wondering if it would make it because of the slight damage, but since finding one is a very rare occurrence I figured it probably would. I have another Pipe that made the Banner when I found it last year and that is the bigger one that is slightly curved and has the mouth incised in it.

As for why it's on the Banner, like I said above, finding a Pipe is something that doesn't happen a lot. I have just been very lucky in the past couple of years and have found a few nice ones. Also, for the ones that don't know much about an item like this I guess I should have explained it a little better, but in my defense when I post something like this on the American Indian Artifact board I just figure that everyone here will know what it is and what is was used for because of seeing all my other posts. I don't even think about it making the Banner and having people from every forum see it and that some of them have no clue about items like this.

For those that want to learn a little more about the Ft Ancient culture of southern Ohio check out this link. The particular site this Pipe came from is dated 950 to 1650 AD, as are most of the Ft Ancient sites in my area.

I think you did good man. I wouldn't worry about not explaining what it is everytime you post an item. If anyone wants details they can ask in an nonrude manner. Awesome find :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
TejasDigger said:
SRV said:

I think you did good man. I wouldn't worry about not explaining what it is everytime you post an item. If anyone wants details they can ask in an nonrude manner. Awesome find :thumbsup:
SRV you did well!! I wasn't criticizing you for not explaining, I just was wondering why it was on the banner an was hoping to get a civil an knowledgeable answer..... but got a half smartas.... answer... Hippy thank you for more info about this find. Now to the post I just quoted... I asked in a polite manner an received a rude answer in return.. thank you for your time.....

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creeper71 said:
Oshawaman said:
Congratulations on making the banner Steve! :hello2: These are some great looking artifacts and believe that it's well justified in your pipe having made the banner.

This item was democratically voted on by the Treasurenet community as having enough historical interest to validate it's being posted on the banner. Does it really matter whether an object is found in the ground with a metal detector or with the naked eye?! The fact is that it was lost possibly hundreds of years ago and was honestly found and recovered by a person that has the fortitude to look down when they're walking instead of only straight ahead! :icon_thumright:
I'm getting kind tired of answers that sound rude an IG no rant when I ask why it is on the banner... No one EVER explains who made the item how rare they are or what makes it so special to be on the banner... if People can READ my post I said I have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain Not everyone knows about artifacts..so before you belittle someone for questioning a find maybe you should explain or at least ask why they are asking... Instead of assuming I am complaining cause it's not a detector find which ISN'T THE CASE... Maybe a lil patience an education about the find would be better then the answer above...

Creeper71, please let me apologize for my earlier posting in reference to your question regarding "exactly what the item was and why it was on the banner"? I misunderstood the intention of your posted question and I sincerely apologize to you for responding in the manner that I did. :dontknow:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Oshawaman said:
creeper71 said:
Oshawaman said:
Congratulations on making the banner Steve! :hello2: These are some great looking artifacts and believe that it's well justified in your pipe having made the banner.

This item was democratically voted on by the Treasurenet community as having enough historical interest to validate it's being posted on the banner. Does it really matter whether an object is found in the ground with a metal detector or with the naked eye?! The fact is that it was lost possibly hundreds of years ago and was honestly found and recovered by a person that has the fortitude to look down when they're walking instead of only straight ahead! :icon_thumright:
I'm getting kind tired of answers that sound rude an IG no rant when I ask why it is on the banner... No one EVER explains who made the item how rare they are or what makes it so special to be on the banner... if People can READ my post I said I have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain Not everyone knows about artifacts..so before you belittle someone for questioning a find maybe you should explain or at least ask why they are asking... Instead of assuming I am complaining cause it's not a detector find which ISN'T THE CASE... Maybe a lil patience an education about the find would be better then the answer above...

Creeper71, please let me apologize for my earlier posting in reference to your question regarding "exactly what the item was and why it was on the banner"? I misunderstood the intention of your posted question and I sincerely apologize to you for responding in the manner that I did. :dontknow:
It's kool..thank you for correcting what you said earlier... Your first post really rubbed me the wrong way cause i got the same response to the question why the game piece was on the Banner earlier in the week, like I stated before I have no knowledge of Indain artifacts so when something is on the banner an there is no history of the item ..I think it is a vaild question to ask why it's on the banner....... SRV I'm sorry I took from your find....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting ancient artifacts for about 35 years. I find broken pipes and bits and pieces. They are so fragile and rarely survive time. That insitu tells it all. A very nice find and banner item. Something like this is hard to research but Steve knows the site and the materials that come out of it. We are guilty of taking this ancient america for granted. If you will notice there are very many post made here and if you stop by every know and then you can learn a lot if interested. Steve and his fort ancient sites ....
Good job and fire that puppy up and play some of the ancient bone flutes you find :thumbsup:
Celebrate !
TnMtns

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRV said:
brandywine said:
Really sweet insets!
Is that a nick or an intentional detail?
Looks phallic in one shot.

Nice find

The nick is definitely a break. If you look closely you can see that it occurred at the thinnest part of the bowl. I also noticed the Phallic look when looked at from the bottom. I don't know if that was done purposefully or if it's just a coincidence, but it may just be another Effigy Pipe.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

I did find out it was one of my good friends brother that had walked past it. He had been out there earlier that morning. I feel bad for him, but I feel great about me finding it.
Well done on the Banner.

I know very little about these type of finds, so what sort of age is it?

I can't help but think that this was intentional.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
There are Several posts here explaining how the Banner works
one here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/banner
Of course Every Banner Report & Every Item that makes it was put there for a reason,But I Certainly Am not going to Explain Myself.Too Time consuming.

If others wish to explain why they voted it That's their prerogative.

& no I Am not trying to be rude, Just a bit Confused by the Questioning Lately.

Which Definately dosn't belong in Finds Posts.

Cool Pipe SRV !
Thanks Jeff for the link, I did not know either where to find information about the banner.
Which Definately dosn't belong in Finds Posts.[/
Where then Jeff?

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Another wonderful piece of history saved :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the Banner , one question ? what determines whether that pipe is American Native or just a early settlers pipe :dontknow:
Great find Dd60
Tobacco came out of the Americas where it was a native plant. It was seen that natives smoked tobacco in pipes in the 15th century, and pipes were made in Europe in the start of the 16th century. As far as I know there were no pipes made from stone, they were made here from clay. I would think after seeing this relic that it is not European, even crude pipes that I have seen here are different. I think it is an a American Native pipe (but could be from all of the Americas back then. Would image it is from the 15th century. But I am not an expert in this field....

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Steve , Great find !! Really nice insitu , looks as if it's been laying there for some time . Anyway , another nice piece for a great collection !
Blindpig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread