Ft. Ancient Finds/9 Months of Searching?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, thought I would Share some of this stuff with you. Thanks for all of the comments on the cache blades and the adena point. And yes the adena was found in Adams Co. Ohio where I live. Was hoping to go out searching today, but it was too hot! So I thought I would post this picture in the A/C instead. The two smallest points I found near the cache blades. But all of this stuff was found in the same 1x.25 mile area. If you can identify some of this stuff tell me what you think it is. I Know steve will find the four at the far right interesting. The black thing is what?

Attachments

• 100_0690.jpg
    100_0690.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black thing is a one inch square piece of cannel coal with a corner chipped off that I found on a old road.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Definitely some earlier points in there.....brewerton, bifurcate, etc.. Nice stuff. It is tough to find an unbroken triangle!

Chuck

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds catherine1, though I actually only see 2 pieces that look like Ft Ancient artifacts and that's 2 Triangle Points. The rest look Archaic to me.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two long broken pcs. are ft. ancient, and were found about a inch deep. The piece in the right bottom corner appears to be a engraver identical to the one you(steve)have posted but a mirrior image' However the three pcs above it are ? They look like a spokeshaven that you have in your collection. I found these on a bluff above the flood plain about four inches deep along with the red point in the top left corner. So I can say without a doubt that they are older.The only way I can tell how old something may be, is when I excavate a area that has not been plowed, and then record the depth that it was found. I have dug a lot of test holes at this unplowed site. However I found the two small archaic pts. at the surface in the field I found the cache blades, so now things get confusing. When a field has been plowed the only way I can determine what I have is to go to overstreet or look at other colloctions .My uncle owns the farm and said he would plow up any area I wish. However I am afraid he will break something, or confuse the age. But it would make things a lot easier to just compare. Decisions-decisions. Keith.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it would be notable to also mention that if steve put his engraver tool next to mine (mirror image) you would find out that it confirms that these people were right and left handed as we are today. So go out and find a bunch of lefties (if you can figure out which is left or right).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread