ARTIFACT ROOM 007.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 855
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Re: NORTH CAROLINA CUMBERLAND POINT

I know very little about Atlantic coast points, but that doesn't not look like a Cumberland to me. The flute may not be a purposeful flute at all. The flaking doesn't look Cumberland and generally they exhibit a higher quality of craftsmanship. Even broken and unfinished pieces are very deliberately made. I've seen many Archaic and Woodland pieces with similar 'flutes' that are not in fact fluted. Plus consider how far out of the normal distribution for Cumberlands that you are I think it's unlikely. All of that being said I really have no idea.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few very much like that from the Archaic site I hunted in NC. I have one about an inch, its the same. I couldn't say for sure I'm not experienced enough. If i had to hazzard a guess, I would say its guilford related. My site was mainly guilfords/sav rivers. I have seen guilfords with basal thinning even that far up the point. Also you have to take into consideration, Cumberlands are rare even in areas that have more chance of having them. I doubt to be honest there are any in NC. Even on the U.S Projectile Point Id site it shows Cumberlands for NC BUT the ones showing are not from NC. So i figure they must me very rare.
I do however know a professional collector in NC, I could ask him if you like? I will Pm you when I get back..
Greg Perino,( god rest his soul) he was the guy that named the Guilford, he was the guy that wrote numberous ID books on Guilfords/lanceolates from NC. He was born in NC I do believe. If it is indeed a Cumberland or Guilford then my friend at the NC museum Cliff will know.
Just trying to help.

Molly.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't think that's one. I guess I will check put my mind to rest..
Thanks for that 37.
I have sent the pic to Cliff. But will have to wait until I get back from Pitt Co, to find out.
Wish me luck I am off hunting in NC.. :hello2:

Molly. :D

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 588
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 574

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3rty7 said:
Doing some night hunting Molly? Good luck, watch out for the skeeters.

Nah, too risky.. snakes n farmers lol... I am going back to the field I found my very first arrowhead in. I have a lot more experience with stone tools now, so will be bring every rock back to examine..lol. Then off to Pitt Co to hunt n see friends. I shall hunt in VA too while am there..
Am so excited.. see ya'll when I get back, leaving in a few hours....

Molly.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got an e-mail back from Cliff, he said its definetly a Guilford, it as all the Guilford traits. he said there are no Cumberlands in that region, also by the flaking & thickness it is indeed a Guilford. Just as I predicted.
Still a super find.. Congrats.
I just come back from NC with several Guilfords a Sav river a nice round scraper & several blades. A good hunt in my books..
Will post soon as i can.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread