Arrowhead collection in Tennessee

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Hi, here recently I have been reading of arrowheads that have been collected in Tennessee near where I live, I have also seen some large lots of points for sale online from TN, and they were found along the Hiwassee river during the winter months while the water is low.I have always wanted to find some of my own, and I have found 2 while dredging for gold.My question is , Are there any laws for hunting them along state water ways,or on private property so long as you have permission for the private land? I know its illegal to keep them if you find them in a national park here in TN. Any help would be great.Thanks
Allen

Upvote 0

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better stay on private property. God help you if you are caught hunting artifacts on TVA land. They actively watch for people doing that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is to be very careful on the Hiwassee. Many places are designated historical archeological sites and federalt protected especially around the Island at the mouth. Great history on that river. I would google earth it and look for the plowed fields on private property along the river and creeks and try for permission. There are hundreds of mounds up and down the river that have been plowed down in fields.
I have been on the island and it looked like a bombing range with all the craters and holes. It needed protection from looters and got it. Hiwassee Island is documented in many archeological reports and was considered one of the largest upper towns on the Tn river. It has been heavily dug by archeologist since 1939?
Here is a good book by Kneeberg about some history of that area before the impoundment.
I will not hunt in that area.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ES...Q#v=onepage&q=hiwassee island indians&f=false

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like to fish up there a lot by boat all the way down to Chickamauga...

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ugh, dont you hate it when the flint sticks to you, like in ur shoe, under hat brim, etc....... :(

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
In the western part of the state, the TWRA say nothing to surface collectors. The only off limits areas are state parks and wildlife refugees. However, in North Alabama, where I grew up, the game wardens hide and hunt the surface collectors like deer. Depends on the local attitude. feeder creeks and secondary streams produce some of the finest artifacts, My favorite site is almost three miles up in the smaller feeder river. What ever you do watch for those snakes.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edmundruffin said:
In the western part of the state, the TWRA say nothing to surface collectors. The only off limits areas are state parks and wildlife refugees. However, in North Alabama, where I grew up, the game wardens hide and hunt the surface collectors like deer. Depends on the local attitude. feeder creeks and secondary streams produce some of the finest artifacts, My favorite site is almost three miles up in the smaller feeder river. What ever you do watch for those snakes.

They have stopped me in North Ala. They just told me no digging. No telling though as next time they could have a change of heart and not all game wardens are created equal. North Ala is wore out from hunters. Just check on e-bay. Lot of it is the economy I think.Used to you could take your time and surface hunt and have a relaxing day. Now it's foot prints every where. Yeah you always come across many snakes and sometimes they wont give any ground :help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread