Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a place I lease and looked for some shelters a surveyor told me about. He said they were dug but I wanted to see them myself. I had found a dalton base near there last year.
Here is picture off the mtn this morning.
100_3033.JPG
Found the shelter. He was right it had been dug for years.
100_3051.JPG
Morter and pestle's found right away. Left these for another trip.
100_3045.JPG
100_3048.JPG
Humped out this 50 pounder though. Has a double cup on the other side.
100_3050.JPG
They left stacks of them there. Plus tons of trash that I ended up hauling away. It cost me one trip back up in there hauling the trash !!
100_3056.JPG
Today it is was supposed to be an artifact machine. :dontknow:
100_3058.JPG
This is the creek below the shelters. Never found even a flake in it.
100_3060.JPG
There are about 10 more shelters further back in there and one test hole gave me charcoal so hopefully I will get back there after hunting season. Got a few tools and scrapers out in the truck they missed and will try to post them later. I am to whipped to go get them :laughing7:.
Sorry for being picture heavy with not many finds but that is the way it goes when hunting this stuff sometimes. Hit and miss.
Thanks for looking.
Happy Hunting
TnMtns

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bad Andy and Targe. I hate to see litter in such isolated places. Those diggers would camp and drink beer and hunt arrowheads :occasion14:
Targe that creeks really roars and all the new rocks are from erosion on the side. I did flip rocks waded deep pools thinking something shoul be be trapped but in thousands of years it seems to be clean.
Crazy huh?
Thanks guys.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archer66 said:
Great pics Tn....that first one is awesome.

I can't imagine what must have been found in that shelter if those mortars weren't worth their trouble.

Well I found a dalton base across the other side. First time I did a quick scout I was on the wrong side. I think they were used up thru woodland and then better living during Mississipian in the valleys.No pottery or very rare.
I think you can find a good paleo on some of those spring shelter sites. I want to try anyways.
Mortars are kinda common here. I have bunches myself. Have seen to many to take out as sad as that sounds. Well today was like that.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
those pics are awesome tn, very high mosture area, ferns and moss and all, beautiful area, and good luck on the test hole w charcol, i bet u find something nice in there!!!!!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I think those pictures alone made the trip worthy. Great looking area and shelter. It's getting really hard to find caves and shelters that haven't been picked through.

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Looks like a dream I have all the time, man could I get lost there, just beautiful Tn. I wish you all the luck with the shelters.
take care.... JYD...

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
When looking in those shelters and the creeks below is it common to find sculptures or statues around these areas? Also does anyone have any they could post pictures of?

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
JUNKYARD DOG said:
Looks like a dream I have all the time, man could I get lost there, just beautiful Tn. I wish you all the luck with the shelters.
take care.... JYD...
This part of Tennessee has all kinds of places like that ... :headbang:

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
SouthernGirl said:
Don't know how I miss your post TN those are some great pictures. Don't we live in a beautiful part of the country.
I missed this also that why i brought it back to the top...Its worth another look!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimbrough said:
Hey TnMountains what creek is that?
Thanks Groundkeeper. :icon_sunny:

Kimbrough
That is not very far from you. Same mountain range anyways. It is on Mobray mtn and one of the tracts of land I lease. Go up 27 to Hwy111 and drive across the mtn. to the drop of over at Sequatchie Valley.
How you been? Any luck metal detecting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread