Malibu California Clovis point found 2005

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
I am new to this site, and I hope that this post is presented properly, so PLEASE bare with me.

In late 2005, I was asked if i would like to assist my friend Edgar Perez a Native American from the Gabrielino tribe, in some monitoring work at a construction site in Malibu where a very well known family was building a home...I jumped right on it in hopes of finding something of significance, especially after he showed me the Find of a lifetime.
Because of the culturally sensitive area surrounding the building site, it is customary to have an Archeologist and a documented native american on site to insure that any finds are cared for with the utmost respect and scientific guidelines...

On the few days that I worked there, I found some manos, and a few flakes, but nothing quite as special as his find.
During the digging at around the depth of 2 feet, with a backhoe, My Friend edgar caught a glimpse of a serrated edge.. at this point construction halted.. and after further investigation they realized they had an intact clovis point.
The point was then sent to the smithsonian to Dr Dennis Stanford, who tested the point and authenicated it and dated it to approx 13,000 BPE....what a wonderful find !!!

Due to some issues with the home builder and the Archeologist, no new investigations of the site has taken place.
I can totally understand both sides, one wanting to further discover what may be just under the surface, and the other just simply wanting the new home construction to be complete. anyways, I thought I'd share a few photos of this rare find.
enjoy!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 670
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008