Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about the caves. Rock shelters or rock overhangs were utilized on a temporary or more permanent basis. Sometimes they were what is called 'fire caves', as you would build a fire in front and the rock would reflect the heat. You slept between the fire and the back of the shelter. I do not know about the sculptures and statues. I do know that if you had a Hispanic Catholics in the area, they would create shrines sometimes when far from home and working out in the wilderness. But they probably would not have brought any fine statues of La Virgen De Guadalupe with them to set up in there. They would sometimes carve a cross, to indicate a Christian was here. My wife is Mexicana Pura, but not Catholic no more, but she does give me some good info on some of this. Hope you are doin well and good huntin.

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
I hope to have some pic up befour long I have never brought any of them out however I had my sister take some pic. before we closed the road we pushed. The sight is located in the ouachita mts and we found it pushing a logging road. If she cant send them to me I plan going back at thanksgiving and will take some then. As for being temp shelters thats what I always thought to.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is this, Why in the hell did you leave them there :icon_scratch:. I know that there is a possible archeological significance to this and that could be one of your reasons, but man if someone else should happen upon them they might take them. So I would have taken them out of there for that fear alone or reported the find so no one else could take them. JMO man....................GTP

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
Get-the-point said:
My question is this, Why in the hell did you leave them there :icon_scratch:. I know that there is a possible archeological significance to this and that could be one of your reasons, but man if someone else should happen upon them they might take them. So I would have taken them out of there for that fear alone or reported the find so no one else could take them. JMO man....................GTP

We were under goverment contract to push the roads we were doing. Not a single day did we not have a official around. Ouacita mnts are almost all goverment can't touch. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread