BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Stuff I've found

This is my second post, and I thought I'd show you folks some of the stuff I've found over the past 65 years. I don't have any new finds to post, in fact I haven't found a point for several years. In fact I haven't been to a place I'd be able to look for a long time, and I don't get around that well anymore. I'll start by going back to WWII. I was raised in the town of San Luis Obispo, Calif., so the artifacts found there were would have been Chumash. When the war started, the army sent troops to the beaches. There were lots of beaches and not a lot of soldiers in those days. But at Avila beach they dug and sandbagged some bunkers right on the beach, which of course only lasted until a storm hit at high tide. The army also didn't stay very long, perhaps weeks, at the most months, leaving behind sandbagged bunkers, which of course we kids played army in. There was what was left of a shell midden across the old railroad bridge on the left side of the road, right close to the Union Oil dock. The one lane road had replaced the railroad tracks, but the midden had been cut away by the rail road, and only a small portion was left The soldiers had dug and sandbagged a bunker, built with a roof over it, right in the middle of the midden. Us kids of course would climb up there and play. Besides the shells, the midden consisted of a very fine, powdery, very black dirt. My dad said it was the charcoal from years of camp fires, and I believe he was probably right. Every time we played there, I would find a few shell beads, which would go into my pocket and I'd take them home. My mother, bless her heart, would take them and put them in a safe place, only to give them back to me years later.
[attach 1]
So the beads you are looking at were collected by me in the mid 1940's, a few at a time, over at least 2 summers, perhaps more. These were either found on the trail in, or around the foxhole. In the upper right hand corner there is a dentillium shell, in later years I've found out that these shells are now extinct, and were only found in Puget Sound up by Seattle, WA, so between the one of two obsidian points and that shell, these people were trading long distances. At the bottom of the frame are abalone shell beads, or mother of pearl beads, manufactured out of abalone shell. Not seen in the frame are three white glass trade beads that I also found and have no idea what happened to them. During that time of playing soldier we also found human remains that the soldiers had dug out and then included in the berm around the foxhole. The hole itself was probably 3 feet deep, and it hadn't found the bottom of the midden. The skull was full of the black soil, badly broken up, the parts held in place by the dirt. As I recollect none of us kids thought much of it, but my mother insisted that we re-bury it where we found it, except we never had a shovel up there, so I suspect that it ended up under a sandbag, but I don't remember for sure.
[attach 2]
Then when I was a bit older and the foxhole was only a shallow dip in the center of the midden, I went up there to specifically look for "arrowheads." I checked out the top, mostly covered with grass, and I didn't find anything, so I walked along the edge of the midden, where the railroad had made the cut, and which was a straight up and down cut bank. The above photo shows one of the items I found at that time. It's a small abalone shell, with the midden soil still attached to it, that was sticking out of the bank, probably two feet or so deep in the midden.
[attach 3]
This is the back side of the shell. The next photo is the front side, it's a close up to showing the mother of pearl showing through the dirt, and if one looks very close, the cut marks where the abalone meat was removed from the shell. This was the only full shell that I ever found there.
[attach 4]
I don't recall ever finding an "arrowhead" in that midden, although there were plenty of broken chunks and flakes of rock, there was nothing that I would have identified even as a broken tool at that time. The other thing I found that day was a flat stone pictured below. It was in about the same location as the abalone shell, and when I pulled it out of the edge of the bank, it was covered with grease that had caked the black dirt onto the rock, probably between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch thick. It was oily to touch and, being a dumb kid, I took it home and used dish soap to wash it all off. I think it would be much more interesting with that stuff left on it. I don't know what kind of stone it is, but it's soft, I don't think sandstone, but kind of chalky, soft and light weight. Anyhow, again, if one will look very close, the cut marks can be seen in the stone, where they butchered fish and shell fish, perhaps sea-lions and other types. They were living in a spot where they were right in the middle of huge supplies of easily harvested food. I'm assuming it's an artifact, because of where I found it and the circumstances of the find. Any other place I'd call it just a rock.
[attach 5]
[attach 6]
[attach 7]
[attach 8]
I think that's all the photos I'm allowed to attach to one post, will be posting more of additional finds. Oh yeah, my mother passed several years ago at 92, and the last time I was down to San Luis Obispo for a visit, I drove over to Avila. There is a new bridge, and the road has been widened and paved. The shell midden is gone, lost to progress.

Attachments

• CalifBeads1B.jpg
    CalifBeads1B.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 442
  • CalifBeads1B.jpg
    CalifBeads1B.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 432
Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Re: Stuff I've found

Wow.

Thank you very much for posting these pictures and the terrific story behind them. I remember playing soldier as a kid and even though we didn't find anything more interesting that the occaisional raccoon skull in our foxholes I can imagine what your memories of those days must mean to you today.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting finds & Thread. Thankyou Sir.

Molly.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post. Those finds have a special history attached to them. I wonder what a metal detector would find in those old trenches. Thank you for taking the time to share the history.
HH
TnMtns

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome looking Beads and artifacts Bosnmate. My favorite type of artifacts to find are Beads. Also a great story to go along with it. Do you think the Shell with multiple holes was a Hairpiece in which the hair was pulled through the holes? I've seen similar pieces made from Bone found on the Ft Ancient sites I hunt here in southern Ohio.

Thanks for sharing the photos and stories with us.

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008

I really enjoyed seeing your finds and reading the story behind your finding them. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I look forward to your future posts.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Awesome pics and story Bos'n! Thanks for sharing.

SRV said:
Do you think the Shell with multiple holes was a Hairpiece in which the hair was pulled through the holes?

It's an Abalone shell, the holes in it are natural.

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

Very nice grouping of bead/ornamental artifacts. Great story. Thanks for posting...

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

SRV said:
Awesome looking Beads and artifacts Bosnmate. My favorite type of artifacts to find are Beads. Also a great story to go along with it. Do you think the Shell with multiple holes was a Hairpiece in which the hair was pulled through the holes? I've seen similar pieces made from Bone found on the Ft Ancient sites I hunt here in southern Ohio.

Thanks for sharing the photos and stories with us.

The abalone shell is just like it was when it was alive. Abalones are kind of like a snail with a really big foot. My dad used to bring home abalone all the time, but now it's very hard to come by. I don't think it's extinct, but it's sure been over fished and rare now. I think it might be farm raised somehow, but don't know anything about that. I don't know much about abalone, except I've eaten a bunch years ago. The holes are natural, but I don't know what for, except perhaps it's how they breathe.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

BosnMate said:
The abalone shell is just like it was when it was alive. Abalones are kind of like a snail with a really big foot. My dad used to bring home abalone all the time, but now it's very hard to come by. I don't think it's extinct, but it's sure been over fished and rare now. I think it might be farm raised somehow, but don't know anything about that.

Yup, most of the Abalone you get now is farm raised in these big crate-looking containers that are hanging off of a pier, they are sealed up in them and are opened every few days to give them their food, which is mostly seaweed. They were severely overfished, as most species live near the shore on rocks and easy to get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions