Last two inherited items

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In a post I titled Atl atl, I made a guess that the rock was an atl atl weight, but it seems that I was wrong, and it's more likely a fishing weight, so I'm not even going to say what my guess is on the first one. This artifact has sat outside with some bowls and other things for years. It's splattered with red paint because someone was too lazy to move it when they painted the house. It came into my possession about three years ago. If anyone has any information on what this could be, I'd sure be interested.
[attach 1]
[attach 2]
[attach 3]
Above, one end has a broken spot.
[attach 4]
[attach 5]
The cross hatching is on both ends.
The next item is of course an axe, and it's been around as long as I can remember, and I doubt very much that it comes from California. I've never seen anything else like it in anyone's collection or in a museum. Probably in the neighborhood of 65 years ago, in the days of cowboys and Indians at the Saturday matinee movie, I took a forked stick, and made me a tomahawk, using rawhide boot laces to tie the head in place. I don't remember, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there weren't some red chicken feathers on it also. When it was done, I decided that it needed some blood on the stone part, to make it look "authentic." So for blood, I took some red geranium flowers, (we had plenty of them along the garage wall) and smeared the crushed flower on the edge of the blade, and to this day, if you look closely, you can still see some of the stain remaining. I don't know why the axe didn't get broken or lost, but I still have it. I picture myself as one mean Indian fighting off the cowboys back in them thar days.
[attach 6]
[attach 7]
[attach 8]

Attachments

• Artifact1.jpg
    Artifact1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Artifact2.jpg
    Artifact2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Artifact4.jpg
    Artifact4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 339
  • Artifact3.jpg
    Artifact3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 333
  • Artifact5.jpg
    Artifact5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Axe1.jpg
    Axe1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Axe2.jpg
    Axe2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Axe3.jpg
    Axe3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first piece is a Shaft Straightener and is a typical example of the west coast type. Very nice one. The little Axe is pretty sweet as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread