chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
thanks guys, steve
the grinding goes up from the base exactly one inch, in the 1st photo it stops at the 1st serration visable on the right, i should have taken a cross shot because it has a slight bevel on both sides. agate basin aungustoria?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong, I was thinking possible Hell Gap, it has the long base with a very slight notch. JMO.........................nice piece!!..................... :icon_thumright:GTP

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong, Man thats nice. I do believe it rings of Agate Basin. I've never seen one in that material though. Must have been a bugger to work. Thanks G.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lone Star said:
Chong, Man thats nice. I do believe it rings of Agate Basin. I've never seen one in that material though. Must have been a bugger to work. Thanks G.

Nope Hell Gap!! The constriction point is the give-away. Here is a link Chong and you can determine it from the examples in that.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lv...&resnum=8&ved=0CCoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

If you notice Chongs piece, at about halfway up you can see slight constriction like notching where the upper half is larger than the bottom half. This little piece of evidence is how you can determine the difference between Agate Basin and Hell Gap. They are however a part of the same family..................................GTP :icon_thumleft:

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, The Hell Gap form is consistant for sure, however lets look at where it was found. The other thing is the thickness and resulting beveling from resharpening. From what I can see the point used to be about 20 % larger or more. Aside from the material, it's a dead ringer for several of the Agate Basins I've found in Texas. I'm not as familiar with Hell Gap as many, but I would think it wouldn't be as thick at this stage of it's life. However, like in many other things, I may be dead freakin'wrong. Great discussion guys, Thanks G.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Lone Star said:
The Hell Gap form is consistant for sure, however lets look at where it was found.

That was my thought as well. I think if Chong found it in his normal hunting area, I'd say he's too far south for it to really be typed as a Hell Gap. It's Hell Gap like, but I'd probably call it an Agate Basin.

Hell Gap (HG) points are found on many Agate Basin (AB) sites in the Northern Plains, and the type is just thought to be regionalized off shoot from the AB cluster. The HG points from the Hell Gap site came from an AG kill (the site was also the type site for the Goshen and Frederick types.) It overlapped later AG in time in most areas, and might extended out another couple hundred years or so. To a certain extent you can say that all HG's are AB's, but not all AB's are HG's.

Chong, how thick is the piece?

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I sure do like those old ones you find... Cool diamond shaped blade cross section. WTG :thumbsup: Keep 'em comin'!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
sorry for the late response guys,
the thickest point is 1/4" and length is just a few mm shy of 3". i have trying to get better pics of the flaking style but my camera is acting up.
And yes Joshua it was found in the desert SW

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
this is on another piece, myself and a few others believe is a hellgap, the flaking is pretty visable from this angle, found last year

Attachments

• CIMG0415.JPG
    CIMG0415.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 226
  • CIMG0417.JPG
    CIMG0417.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 227

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread