What are your favorite reference books?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What are your favorite reference books?

I just got "Indian Artifacts of the Midwest, book 4" by Lar Hothem, an excellent book with great pics.

And "Arrowheads, Early Man Projectile Points of North America," by Ken Owens. Not too bad, not as good as Hothem's.

And about 2 months ago I picked up "Field Guide to Flint Arrowheads & Knives of the North American Indian," by L & S Tully, which is outstanding, B & W pics but laid out very well and one of the better ones for a quick reference guide IMO.

What is the best reference book you have with the best pics?

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Ohio types and reference I use 2 different books.

The Archaeology Of Ohio by Robert Converse published in 2003

Ohio Flint Types also by Robert Converse which was originally published as one of the quarterlies of the Archaeological Society Of Ohio magazines and the reprinted in hardback in 1994.

For flint and chert types I use Prehistoric Chert Types Of The Midwest by Tony DeRegnaucourt and Jeff Georgiady published in 1998.

I also like Sun Circles and Human Hands : The Southeastern Indians Art and Industries by Vernon James Knight Jr, Emma Lila Fundaburk, and Mary Douglass Fundaburk Foreman originally published in 1957.

Most of Lar Hothems Indian Artifacts Of The Midwest series are very good as well.

Plus I have quite a few different random publications on different sites and mounds.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm with Steve on Ohio Flint Types, and Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest, but my favorite is The Meuser Collection by Bob Converse. Other great references include Ohio Slate Types, The Fort Ancient Aspect by James Griffin, Birdstones of The North American Indian by Townsend, and The Middle Archaic Bannerstone by Lutz. I'm surely missing some important ones, but these are all great material for Midwest collectors.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, I forgot all about The Fort Ancient Aspect. I also need to get the one on Meusers collection. That Townsend book isn't cheap if you can even find a copy. I saw one go at auction for $600 and I saw one on Ebay a while back that was a Buy It Now at $750.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about here in the South East? Our area is much diffrent from say Ohio. I usually just use you guys and gals here on t-net. I think you all do a good a job on i.d :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread