What the hell was that !!

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how many of ya'll feel like someone's there with you in certain hunting grounds. Maybe I'm getting old and more senile , but I sense it some times more than others. Yesterday being a good example. Stopped by a site I've hunted for over 30 years midday yesterday. It's an old documented site that stretches back to the early archaic. I've found everything from Folsom thru glass shards. The HAAA did a few digs years ago and the habitation areas seem to span over a three or four acre area.
I'm used to hearing things and seeing shadows during my quests for artifacts. I can't say I've ever had to jump out of a hole, but I've had my timbers shaken a few times. Yesterday I noticed as I entered the area I felt weird. I notice how things had changed in the last six months since I'd been there, as well as a pronounced pathway by a land surveyor, with cut trees from the water to the edge of the shell mound.
As I was scratching thru shell and checking the varmit hole throw dirt I kept hearing noises like whispers, bushes rustling, general clicks and bangs more than ever before. Before long I felt it was time to go. I've been thinking about it this am so I thought I'd pass it on. G.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the spirits have been awakened -- enough activity can disturb the spirits --often small amounts of activity will not bother them--- but large scale changes will -- and do * -- I pity those fools who build on indain burail grounds --really I do.

think carefully when digging near indain areas-- and remember to use a tabbaco "peace" offering if hunting around indain sites --((a pinch of tobacco offered to the north,south,east and west)---NEVER EVER DIG A BURIAL MOUND AREA !!! BESIDES BEING 100% TOTALLY ILLEGAL , ITS IMMORAL AS WELL -- WANT TO BE "CURSED" FOR LIFE BY INDIAN SPIRTS?

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take from a site you should really leave an offering. Do that & you'll be fine.
That's all I will say, its a very debatable subject & unsure I want to get into it..

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I never have had anything strange happen, but I alway's leave a tobacco offering to the four wind's.

OP
OP
Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you guys, I've always dug and hunted with thought, respect and admiration to whatever is found. Every worked flint and bone can have a story as well as a particular use at one time or another. I've never thought of leaving anything besides footprints , however what you all say has merit. I guess an offering to those inhabitants that haven't moved on is only fair and justified considering the rewards we find.
This particular site has yielded hundreds of points to me thru the years. I've even done an article or two on it for IAM some years back. The next time I go back I'll do what you say.
Thanks again, G

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never felt alone in all the sites I hunted. I never felt scared, either. The Washita Battlefield bothers me. I never hunted anything there, but it's just a feeling. We weren't related to the Cheyennes. Most of the sites I hunted didn't know what tobacco was, as it was introduced after their time. I don't know about that 'new age' practice of leavin offerings to spirits in a place, as we did everything we could to help them move on and not remain here. But I suppose if it makes you feel better and less guilty, do it. Mostly everything I found was just the old ones throwaways and trash anyway. Some good points I bet they were sorry they lost.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to treat my sites with respect. Pick up trash and things like that. Respect them by knowing as much as you can about a site so you can imagine their life style and appreciate the things they left behind. They know I appreciate their work and sometimes they will let a little show for me to stumble upon :hello:
HH
TnMtns

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I too get that creepy feeling sometimes like I'm being watched. Years ago my dad had a friend who had a ranch on the Gila River in AZ. It was on what had been a huge Hohokam villiage. He mentioned to us that strange things happened out there a lot so he always left an offering of corn-meal. We did likewise any time we went out there to hunt points or javelina. I still bring some with me even here in Florida. It seems to appease them.

~Mike

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW : I once asked a Susquehannock shaman whether his people (who lived way back in the mountain boonies and kept to many of the old ways) collected artifacts they turned up in their fields.

He looked at me as if I was retarded and asked, "When you find old tin cans and broken bottles, working in your garden, do you save them ?"

His was the old attitude (pre-1960s).

huntnman

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Ive felt things before, never bad feelings. I think lack of respect is where folks run into trouble. I leave an offering of sassafras root bark dried and crushed at sites. Sassafras was a cure all medicine plus a smoke used around here by the natives. Sassafras was smoked in the east for effect similar to peyote(sp?) in the south west.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always focused on the ancient ones who once lived, laughed, loved, were sick, argued, and died on the sites I hunt. That is to say, from the moment I get there, I greet them in my thoughts, I ask them to assist my eyes in finding the tools that they left behind. I assure them that I will never sell or disrespect any artifact, but will frame and display them with honnor and reverence. I imagine them walking along the same trails that I am on. I see them in my mind and thank them for lead in the way of building a civilization. When I find an object, I give thanks and express my admiration of the work that went into it and wonder at the story it holds. Was it dropped, lost, trust into an animal, used in self defense, etc. I acknowledge that in it's day.... at the very moment that the last human hands held this point... it was the Appache helicopter of its time. It was as high tech as a stealth bomber is to us today. it was all that stood between hunger and food, life and death. And.... to date... I have never dug a inch in all of my finds. I let nature expose them for me. be it rain or tides, when the time comes for my eyes to discover a point.... it will be there for me to see. Otherwise, it is not meant to be. Even now.... hunting on my own 12 acres of land that is ripe with Indian artifacts.... I have not dug. It just does not feel right but that's just me :)

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
A lot of times I think the hawks are the true protectors of the land sent by the native spirits. There are times I feel they lead me to the most productive parts of the fields and sites I search. The coopers hawks like to feed on the birds at my feeders and I feel they reciprocate their service while I’m hunting.

Here’s a link to a book on sacred places. I owned this book far before I found my first artifact. It’s a good read related to this topic.
http://books.google.com/books?id=lB...&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

P

pickaway

Yea, ive actually seen them.. then i left some left some tobbaco offerings all 3 gone within a day...so then i left them a 12 pack...jkg...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread