wisconsin indian info

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Hello I am a newbie to this site. I live in Wisconsin and look for spear points around Hixton (silver mound) in the farm fields. I have been doing this for maybe a year and a half. The Hixton quartzite is a sandstone that has been cemented together by silica. Scientists say the sandstone here is different from others. It's pure sand and pure silica, and it's found nowhere else. For 12,000 years, Native Americans have come to Silver Mound to make tools and weapons. The earliest visitors were paleo-Indians who stopped here on their annual North-South migrations to quarry the unique stone they shaped into lance points and later into arrowheads. I have found several artifacts. Most of the points I find are broke because of the plows, my question is, if I were to dig for points how deep would I want to go and where would be the best place to look. I would say the fields are full of flakes up to 2-3 miles away from the mound. Sorry I don?t have any pics of my points but I will try to get them on here in a few days. http://www.emily.net/~schiller/silmound.html

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Digging around there would be a shot in the dark to say the least, your best bet is to keep surface hunting. Digging on the mound itself might pay off but would be illegal.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If you are digging in the plowed field areas, you could go down at least 12-16 inches due to the plows turning over the soil and burying what was previously on the surface. But sounds like you are in a great spot and can find alot of relics in that area.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
You might try at the egdes of the plowed feilds, because that part may not be disturbed by the plowing as the middle of the fiield,you may get away with not as much digging to find them either.Also there is a indian grave or low spot in the fieild accrossed from the house It could be a burial spot, I saw that as soon as I went up there.They plow around it also..Don't be digging that spot,there is a huge rock at the head of that spot also..another evidence of a possible grave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread