amazing things seen while artifact hunting

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008
HI. FELLOW T NETER`S I HAVN`T POSTED IN A WHILE SO I THOUGHT I WOULD THROW SOMETHING AT YA. WHAT IS THE MOST AMAZEING THING YOU EVER SEEN OR WALKED UP ON WHILE ARTIFACT HUNTING . THE RESON I ASK IS I HAD THE MOST AMAZEING THING HAPPEN I WAS IN A CLEAR CUT THAT I HUNT MOSTLY IN THE SPRING ( NO HUNTERS OR SNAKES) I KEPT HEARING ALOT OF WILD TURKEYS MAKEING SOME WEIRD NOSES THEN SOME SOUNDS THAT I COULDN`T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS, I STOPED AND LISTENED THEN WALKED TO THE NOISES AS I GOT CLOSER I STOPED AND LOOKED AROUND AND SAW THE TURKEYS ABOUT 18 TO 20 MOST OF WITCH WHERE HENS AND JAKES THEN I NOTICED TWO DEER (DOES) STANDING OVER ANOTHER DOE THAT WAS DOWN IN A SMALL HOLE ON HER KNEES GIVEING BIRTH SO I HID THERE AND WATCHED IT WAS AN AMAZEING THING TO SEE IT WAS LIKE SOME THING FROM THE LION KING THE TURKEYS WERE CACKLEING THE DEER WERE MAKEING A WEIRD NOISE THE DOE THAT WAS GIVEING BIRTH STOOD UP AND OUT IT CAME I WATCHED FOR A LITTLE WHILE LONGER THEN TRYED TO SLIP AWAY UNDETECTED DIDN`T WORK A GREY SQUIRLE ABOUT 15 FEET AWAY FROM THE DEER STARTED IT`S BARKING AND I WAS BUSTED .THIS WAS BY FAR THE COOLEST THING I EVER SAW IN THE WOODS

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

WOW, I would consider that a gift from God to witness something like that.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot of pretty cool things while hunting, but these two stand out to me.

The first was watching an Eagle swoop down out of the sky into the Ohio River and snatch up a pretty good size fish in it's talons and fly off with it.

The second was as I was walking down a lane to get to a field I spotted a car parked up ahead that I had to walk right by. There was a guy and a girl in the car and see was "servicing" him in the front seat as I walked by. They must have heard me go by because she just raised up her head, smiled at me, and went right back to doing what she was doing. About 15 minutes later I heard the car start up and back up out of the lane and leave. Never seen that before while hunting artifacts. lol

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a friend found a meth lab at a cabin on our family farm this summer. The guy was setting on the front porch as we drove up. He hauled ass when he seen us coming down the road! Never even got to look for anything that evening. It was after dark by the time the cops left. You never know what you will find artifact hunting.LOL

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
took my oldest son out to a good spot i hunt that has a pond tucked in one corner, we heard so noises over by the pond and when we got there all we saw was a white butt and a pair of tennis shoes in the air needless to say my son got a crash course on the birds and the bees

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember two things although the first was sad so I'll give that amiss. The second was while hunting in the tobbacco fields ( just stalks) I stood there for a minute to catch my breath ( heat) & several butterflies landed on me. Having an Eastern swallow tail on your nose is something else. I found some nice birdies that day. Also it was a still day but there was a lil whirl wind around me ( like a funnel). Friends say it was the spirits. It was such a calming feeling, never felt that before. T'was nice.

Great experiences everyone. Nice Thread SD.

Molly.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I've seen some interesting wildlife while hunting artifacts. Black bears, bald eagles, a huge catfish with a carp sticking out of its mouth floating on top, lots of reptiles and amphibians including a large dead rattlesnake with a worked flake tool with spokeshave right beside it.(pictured below) Dead rattlesnake in situ.

I've also seen f-15's doing training runs at nap of the earth levels, Apache and Blackhawk helicopters but maybe the most amazing thing I've seen while hunting artifacts was a couple years ago I looked up and something silver in the sky caught my eye. It was shaped like a dumbbell and moving pretty slow. It was really high up in altitude and must have been huge. I watched it for about a minute than it disappeared, probably because of sun reflection. I don't know if it was a satelite, the I.S.S., or a ufo but it was a pretty awesome sight.

Attachments

• php2gwLDJAM.jpg
    php2gwLDJAM.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 685
  • phpGFaiJVAM.jpg
    phpGFaiJVAM.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 686
  • phpKDp4bsAM.jpg
    phpKDp4bsAM.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 692

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I had just found the most points I ever found in a day of artifact hunting, and I was driving home. Off to my left was a large mowed hill that leads to a famous old asylum. The asylum was used in the movie Rain Man for the early scenes with Dustin Hoffman. Anyway, I see 2 large dogs running down the hill on a collision course for my car. 1 dog was brown, and the other was white. They were still fairly far off, but I kept my eye on them, and started to slow down. As they got closer, I was amazed by their size. These were really big dogs!!!!! I was almost completely stopped, b/c they were still headed right for the road. It was at this point, that I realized they were not dogs. They were 2 full grown large does. 1 had normal coloration, and the other was 100% snow white. I guess my mind wasn't able to process that they were not dogs, b/c of the color. Going the other way, another car saw them, and was basically stopped also when they ran across the road. That guy and I pulled up next to each other, and just said "Can you believe that just happened?". Neither of us said a word for about a minute, and then we drove away.
I later did some research, and found out the 100% albino deer is a million to 1 rarity, and even rarer to grow to adulthood. I have yet to talk to another person who has seen one. Maybe someone on here has?
Jon Dickinson.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I was creek hunting/fly fishing in Montana and I saw a mountain lion cross the stream. It took all of about 2 seconds for it to jump from one bank, to a rock and then across to the other bank, but it was a pretty cool sight.

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stories and pics everyone... I see a lot of interesting wildlife. I just never have a camera when I need one...

joshuaream said:
I was creek hunting/fly fishing in Montana and I saw a mountain lion cross the stream. It took all of about 2 seconds for it to jump from one bank, to a rock and then across to the other bank, but it was a pretty cool sight.

I saw a mountain lion cross a section line and go into some brush, about 100 feet from me. Mountain lions are pretty common in the badlands of western ND but they are a pretty common sight in other parts of the state also, even in urban areas. About this time last year, one was shot by police right in the city limits of Bismarck (population 60,000). Around here, people have been calling them "prairie lions" LOL.
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/local/article_23d0bb94-dc45-11de-9244-001cc4c03286.html

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
coteau said:
cool stories and pics everyone... I see a lot of interesting wildlife. I just never have a camera when I need one...

joshuaream said:

I saw a mountain lion cross a section line and go into some brush, about 100 feet from me. Mountain lions are pretty common in the badlands of western ND but they are a pretty common sight in other parts of the state also, even in urban areas. About this time last year, one was shot by police right in the city limits of Bismarck (population 60,000). Around here, people have been calling them "prairie lions" LOL.
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/local/article_23d0bb94-dc45-11de-9244-001cc4c03286.html

Mountain lions are a jaw dropping sight when you see them in the wild. Years ago I saw one in Custer s.p. in South Dakota walking a trail it was less than 20 yards away and wasn't at all scared of me. I stopped dead in my tracks and we had a staring contest for a matter of minutes. It slowly walked away when I reached inside my pocket for the camera. My heart was racing.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
We lived in Missoula MT and they were common, but rarely seen because of the brush and forests.

This one was cool because it was just perfect scenery. It made it across a 30 foot wide creek in two jumps and was gone.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
joshuaream said:
We lived in Missoula MT and they were common, but rarely seen because of the brush and forests.

This one was cool because it was just perfect scenery. It made it across a 30 foot wide creek in two jumps and was gone.

Missoula is where its at, especially if you're into flyfishing. Beautiful country.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
SRV said:
There was a guy and a girl in the car and see was "servicing" him in the front seat as I walked by. They must have heard me go by because she just raised up her head, smiled at me, and went right back to doing what she was doing. About 15 minutes later I heard the car start up and back up out of the lane and leave.

So you didn't take a number and wait for your turn? ;D

It would have made a better story. lol Just kidding.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I found two buck deer that had become locked together and were unable to get free. Unfortunatly they were dead and decaying. I saved the heads and have honored them with this display.

Attachments

• pedestal 3.jpg
    pedestal 3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 452

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread