Don Dickson Interview

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
A few years ago I was at Don's house with a cam, so I shot some video. It's kind of a quickie interview on how he started collecting, etc. Don Dickson is well known for naming the Calf Creek, Searcy, and other point types. His work in the archaeological field is pretty amazing, and he's a wealth of information. A great guy, and a friend.

I uploaded the video just a bit ago onto youtube and thought I would share it (with his permission). My camera skills suck and my "interviewing" (what accent?) is even worse! Anyways, here's a link if you get bored and want to check it out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
NG, I think I got it fixed now...maybe. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Neanderthal said:
Don Dickson is well known for naming the Calf Creek, Searcy, and other point types. His work in the archaeological field is pretty amazing, and he's a wealth of information. A great guy, and a friend.

That's neat Matt, I wish I could have experienced some of the discoveries that Don spoke of.

P

pickaway

50 points a day wow, I walked from 8am till 3pm the other day for 2 whole points, Nice vid Matt...

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks all! There is another short video where he talks about pre-clovis, etc. I will see if I can upload it sometime.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
Thanks all! There is another short video where he talks about pre-clovis, etc. I will see if I can upload it sometime.

Great interveiw of a time gone by when history and types were coming to light. Would enjoy his pre-clovis he did with you. The old timers were a breed apart.
Thanks.

K

Keokukjeff

Don is an awsome artifact collector
Got his Albertson Site published by the AAS...........
Still a down to earth guy who goes to Shows and loves the artifacts
Hunted the Spavinaw/Illinois drainage system in N.W Arkansas

He is my hero and one of the old time surface hunter........of this area
One can only imagine how many points Don has!!
A 200 point day..........
It must have been awesome back in the day to hunt plow field for as far as the eye could see!
You ever thought about documenting some of his artifacts,and see if he would do a little tell all book and about his experience's.

He is valuable asset of N.W.Arkansas history
Could you imagine a map of the area he hunted and worked on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with sites located on it!
And I think by golly 200 points in a day would even beat a Texas pay dig har!!

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Jeff, he does have some great stories. I,ve been trying to convince him to do a book on lithic materials, as you know, he is one of the foremost authorities on them. He's pondered it, but I don't think he plans it anytime soon. I have to go over in a little bit and photo more of his lithics, for posterity, and in case he ever does decide to do a publication on that subject.

He is publishing a book on his other passion though, natural healing and herbs, etc. Should be a good read, I know he's been doing that a long time as well.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks matt, I absolutly enjoyed that. He's a geniune treasure, as are most "old timers" thank you for sharing that, I imagine he is very special to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread