Daltons and Paleo Points

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Many of those points came from behind my mom's house. As a kid I would come home from school and go back there and dig with my little hoe blade....some days I would find a point some days not. At the time I didn't know an old point from a new one, so had no idea how special that little camp site actually was. Through the years I have found many nice little paleo points there, and though the frequency of pay dirt is diminishing, its still fun to go fight the snakes and mosquitoes for a chance at a "grandfather."

Atlantis

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis,

That does it. I'm on my way to help you hunt. ;D

Very beautiful collection.

;) River

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey RR,

Load up and head north....not promising you that you'll find anything like that, and the last person that went with me and found something better, failed to return from the trip.....dangerous place, the woods......LOL So word to the wise, if you find a goodie with me, just put it in your pocket and smile....say nothing, act casual. :P

Honestly though there is a lot of paleo stuff in the hills and "hollers" in NW Louisiana. There have been thousands of them found around Toledo Bend when it drops. The San Patrice and Daltons are the most prevalent, but you find other paleo and archaic stuff as well. Apparently there was quite a thriving population of Native Americans here during that time.

Happy Hunting

Atlantis

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Very odd that you haven't found any of the 6" points you mentioned... I'm positive it's only a matter of time before you do because at least half or more of the points you have scanned here have been resharpened A LOT. I guarentee you some of these were 6" to start with, they just seen a lot of use... if they could only tell the story!

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Cannonman,

Yep I am sure there are some 6 inchers out here somewhere. I have seen some rather nice scottsbluff points found in my area. Some over 6", but to say they are as rare as hen's teeth would be an understatement. In Toledo Bend Reservoir where I do a lot of hunting...more this fall as it will be lowered to record levels!!!! ;D I know there have been found some points upwards of a foot long. Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to come across any of them. I did know a fellow that found the largest and best Andice point I have ever seen. Absolutely a G-10....an 11 if the scale went that high. It was made of tan chert, about 8 inches in length...probably 3.5-4 inches in width. The "wings" were perfectly chipped a length of some two inches upwards into the point and the base was a perfect arch side to side. Never seen anything like it before or since. There was also a Clovis point found where I was looking. Also a near perfect point, though only about 2" in length. I am hoping for some good finds this fall, but to me any point is a good one. We have lots of Caddo stuff here so you find more of the smaller points. Not less well made, just smaller.

Happy Hunting.

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread