Finding points in South/Central Louisiana isnt gonna be easy...

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding points in South/Central Louisiana isn't gonna be easy...

...especially for a newbie. :hello:

I've been lurking here for the better part of a year now and recently picked up my first MD to try my hand at that around my town. I'm finding doing the research is just as much fun as the actual hunt. :) That leads me to this forum. While digging up history(no pun intended :wink:) on 17th, 18th & 19th century Louisiana I came to learn that there were multiple Indian tribe that lived through out the state during those periods and this part of history I am really starting to find very interesting. I browsed projectilepoints.net and discovered that well over 100 types of points have coverage area in Louisiana.

Now, here's where I think it's gonna be harder for me than most. In central and south Louisiana we have bayous, darkly stained water with muddy, steep banks. No clear streams, or gravel covered sandbars to spend hours leisurely walking the wide banks with plenty of material to keep your eyes occupied for as long as you like. The hand I'm dealt in my area is muddy water with less than a foot visibility, muddy bottoms and more often than not, muddy and steep riverbanks with heavy foliage.

I understand that water is vital for wildlife and the hunters often hunted there, thus a great place to look for points. Well,
I'm looking for any tips or suggestions on how and where to hunt for points other than river banks. I know the locations of some old villages, and I was thinking of checking the wooded areas between the villages and the nearby bayous. Does this sound like a good place to start?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

ct3100

Greenie
Apr 16, 2009
Re: Finding points in South/Central Louisiana isn't gonna be easy...

I grew up in north/central La. Just about about any bayou will have lots of artifacts. Look for higher points coming up to the water,or close. Look for pine trees, they indicate land that doesn't flood for long periods. Walk the banks, I can't tell you how many points I've found that were on the verge of going in. Look in ditches and wash outs around boat landings. Also, walk logging or gas well roads as they usually run along the higher contours of the swamps and bayous. I use to walk cotton and soybean fields. Often you can tell where there was habitation by the darker soil color. Go ogle earth would have been a great tool. Get permission and watch out for snakes in the spring and summer. I no longer live in La. but long to get back to my old hunting grounds.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great advice above. Look on topo maps for fresh water spings as well. Also look for shell midens (layers of heavy concentration of shells) you find that and you will have artifacts mixed in with the shell. Great area and am sure you will do well.
Good luck with your new hobby's!
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I appreciate the ideas! Hopefully I'll be posting my first pic sometime soon. :thumbsup:

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Clay that was a well written post and you got some good replies. I know nothing about la, farthest south I've been is knoxville tn where I lived when I was a kid. But I have seen some nice flint from la so I'm sure with your motivation you will soon stumble upon a site. Good luck to you out there, and yeah I would watch out for snakes down there. I HATE SNAKES! :thumbsup:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010

A different angle for ya clay from unfavorable streams and rivers ,I like to check out highest elevations find them here-peakbagger.com every co. has high point(s) and the natives visted them all .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread