Hillshade-Lidar Topo Maps & Effigy Mounds in Iowa

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Hillshade-Lidar Topo Maps & Effigy Mounds in Iowa

I'd like to share this website I found that helps alot with my hunts. Its only of Iowa but if anyone has something simmilar for there state please share. This is better than google maps I think as it has a few more options and maps but is a bit more complicated to navagate. I like the 1 meter Lidar which shows all the features of the terrain without the tree cover. To show you what I mean heres some examples from Effigy mounds in northeast Iowa. http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/
And the last pic is 3 mounds and the center one sadly looks dug.

Attachments

• bear5.jpg
    bear5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 878
  • bears3.jpg
    bears3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 826
  • bears4.jpg
    bears4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 754
  • bears jpeg.jpg
    bears jpeg.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,011
  • bears jpeg.jpg2.jpg
    bears jpeg.jpg2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 704
  • dug.jpg
    dug.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Re: Hillshade-Lidar Topo Maps & Effigy Mounds in Iowa

Thanks for putting that together and shareing all ..atv one of the coolest places I have ever been.The site is the best I stumbled on a spot loaded with chips and broke rocks went to the site and found 1930`s ariels, hillshades ,and topos that all together revealed a slight mound (likely a large fire hearth)today its corn rows flat but still remains through finds on a land rise overlooking a stream like so many other campsites.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri

Way cool....for some perspective...how tall are the smallest of the visible mounds in those images?

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa

I'm not real sure on the sizes, i googled it and only found the size of the the Great Bear Mound, is 70 feet across the shoulders and forelegs,137 feet long, and 3 1/2 feet high. But not sure which that one that is, maybe the one in the 2nd pic looks like the biggest. Some other round mounds Ive seen or read about are 25-30 ft across and maybe 2 ft high.

It says theres over 200 mounds at the park, 31 of which are effigys.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please please find this for ohio for me,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread