Florida Point newnan ??

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
I picked this up at a estate sale the shape seems to match a newnan arrow or spear point .
5408824380_9fac4fd05f_b.jpg

5408214599_caa03b91b3_b.jpg

Upvote 0

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
OH what a shame the tip is gone, what ever the type is, it sure is a nice nice one.....JYD...

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice Lochloosa type Newnan.. What a shame about the tip. Nice piece.....................GTP :icon_thumleft:

chert99

Dec 7, 2010
It looks like a Marion point with a newnan square base.We have a couple of middle archaic sites we hunt and you will get newnan and marions equally and both with shared characteristics. A newnan will have shoulders that meet them stem at a 90 to 45 degree angle.Any lower and it could be called a hillsborough. Marions will have the shoulders always swept up ward. A classic newnan will have a square base while a marion will have a round base. On a large archaic site you will get both equally and points having characteristics of both. You also will find hillys and hardees on a large site. Go by the shoulders first and work your way from there when identifying Florida middle archaic points.Looks like its made of heat treated coral and has what probably is a impact fracture to the tip.

OP
OP
Nightowl 280

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
I picked this up at a estate sale in thonotosassa fl . And thanks for the replies on it and to bad about the point is right but its still cool looking and feels good in my hand .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread